Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this type of scope mount on lever actions. I have considered putting one on me 336 Marlin in 35 rem.

oldpete

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
This isn't exactly the same thing, but what I ended up with on my 336/.35.  It is set up like Marshall's .444, with a Williams peep right under the objective of the scope, so iron sights can be used simply by removing the scope.

Scope is a Leupold compact 2.5x, which is very quick to use.  Good field of view, eye relief, etc.

One hog to it's credit so far.  Makes a fast handling rig.  I got both the rifle and scope from the Beartooth trading post!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Oldpete;
 Ashley Outdoors Makes a "scout" style mount especially for the 336 and 94.  Looks very rugged.
 www.aosights.com
The price for the Marlin mount is $50.00, and the Winnie's cost is $55.00.
 I just ordered the one for my Winchester, I plan on putting an Aimpoint Comp series red dot on for hunting the NE states
The marlin part # is: 28-2169B-092-2
The Winchester # is:28-2169C-092-3
Hope this helps

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

What scopes would work on the scout mount without going to a pistol scope, or is that what is needed to make it work, scopes with enough eye relief. Would any of the low power shotgun scopes work ?

oldpete

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oldpete-

I have a Burris scout scope mount on my '94 Big Bore in .356 Winchester.  The scope is a Burris 1-4x XER, which may now be discontinued.  The nice thing about the mount is that it allows the scope to be set back far enough in the rings so that the variable power can be used and it seems to keep the weight back towards the balance point of the carbine.  Not quite as front heavy as some other setups i've seen.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Some Pistol scopes will work( think about when you hold a pistol with 2 hands), the eye relief is about the same.
 the other option [2]is an extended eye relief scope.
 Last but not least is the option of Red Dot type scopes.  speaking from experience, these scopes offer unlimited eye relief, and with the Aimpoints, you can choose the dot's m.o.a., depending on what you purchase.  I personally have an Aimpoint comp m mounted on my AR15, and basically where the dot is is where the bullet goes!  try :
www.aimpointusa.com

also.... A company called EOTECH makes a holographic sight that runs about $200.00   They have a web address, but I can't remember it! Their sights feature a 1moa dot that would be good at distance due to the fact the dot won't cover the target.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toke the .35 Rem. to the range for the first time today, mounted 4x redfield for testing.

For sight-in i used 200gr. Rem.core locks and they grouped about 2" at 50 yds.

Load #1 with 200gr. Herters (Norma) and 31.0 gr of Reloader#7 went 1" at 50 ydrs.and 1 3/4" at 1ooyds.

Load#2 same bullet and 38gr. of H-335 and cci mag.primers, new win.cases went 1/2" at 50yds and less then an inch at 100yds-three shot group.
Same load at 200yds. opened up to 4" for three shots but 2 where only 1" apart so i think it was me.

I have had alot of bolt actions that would not group this good. Vary pleased.

oldpete

·
Registered
144 Posts
m141a said:
also.... A company called EOTECH makes a holographic sight that runs about $200.00   They have a web address, but I can't remember it! Their sights feature a 1moa dot that would be good at distance due to the fact the dot won't cover the target.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scout Scope mount on a 94p

I've learned the lesson on the so-called EER Pistol scopes. I mounted a relatively inexpensive Simmons 2-6x Prohunter pistol scope on a Marlin 94p using the AO scout mount. Only to discover the eye relief is a really to long to be shot from a bench. It seems to be a little more forgiving at the lower magnifications shooting from offhand. A friend of mine with the identical setup with the exception of a Leupold 2x, seems to be much more forgiving.
However, I'll add this observation, a scope or red dot mounted in this location does NOT interfer with a reciever sight....and further does not hinder the way the firearm is carried. It's out of the way when carried in the hand at the balance point.
I'm very tempted to invest in a red dot just to see how well one of those performs.

Attachments

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,944 Posts
The Burris Signature Posi-lock 2x7 pistol scope that is mounted on my Marlin 1895 LTD1 with the AO Scout mount has great eye relief and full field of view at all power settings. The receiver sight and the front sight were left in place and do not interfere with the sight picture.

·
Registered
372 Posts
garfieldx2 said:
I've learned the lesson on the so-called EER Pistol scopes. I mounted a relatively inexpensive Simmons 2-6x Prohunter pistol scope on a Marlin 94p using the AO scout mount. Only to discover the eye relief is a really to long to be shot from a bench.

Hi garfieldx2; Pistol scoopes are not EER (Extended Eye Relief) They are LER, Long Eye Relief. Thats why you had a problem. Scout scopes as made by Burris and Leupold are EER. There may be other companies making EER scopes but I've got mine so havn't been keeping up. Redfield made the first EER scope long before Jeff Cooper came up w/the scout concept. Back in the early '70's as I recall. The whole system, base and scope was designed for the Win.94. Bad timing. I agree that one of the new red dot sights ought to be the cats meow on a 16" carb. Don't have too much fun. Pepe Ray

·
Registered
144 Posts
And Stevens had a rifle called the Little Scout back in 1927 and Springfield Armory had their M6 Scout in 1982. So much for the use of "Scout."

But if you read up on the real history of the "Scout Rifle Concept" you will find that the idea of mounting a scope in front of the receiver came up in WW1 and maybe before that. But it was Jeff Cooper who made it well known. There are a lot of great ideas out there in the shooting community. Some never catch on or are never discovered. That is why this Forum and others like it are such a great idea. Shooters from all over the world can share new and old ideas and expose gun myths.

Pepe Ray, does Redfield still make that scope?

But XS Sight Systems does own the name of ''Lever Scout" for their scope mount.

Maybe if the execs at Winchester had any brains they would get together with XS Sight Systems and a scope company and came out with a Winchester 94 Lever Scout package. Nah, they would screw it up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yanqui; Nope, unfortunately that Redfield honey only lasted a short time. It was a 3/4" tube which made it very tidy, and the glass was as good as the prevailing market could allow. Also it was made in low powers and a post was available. Sighhh.
I often feel as you do, that the big company execs are not utilizing the great ideas from their customers. If they did all we would have to do is lay down the green. As it is now we have to struggle and dream and pay the gunsmiths. Don't know 'bout you but I'm still havin fun. Pepe Ray

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The bolt acton scout type-rifles don't appear to have sold too well. I don't see Savage as having theirs listed this year, glad I got mine. The Steyr is a nice rifle, but has odd looks and would be priced out of the range of many buyers. I doubt you'll see a scout package on a levergun, but it would be a nice option. That much is for sure.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,216 Posts
I just don't see the advantage of the 'scout' concept, honestly.

I can put a low power variable on either a lever or a bolt gun and it seems like it has all the advantages of either type of setup .... say 1.5x5 or 2x7?

Haven't shot a true 'scout' so maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

·
Registered
144 Posts
kciH said:
The bolt acton scout type-rifles don't appear to have sold too well. I don't see Savage as having theirs listed this year, glad I got mine. The Steyr is a nice rifle, but has odd looks and would be priced out of the range of many buyers. I doubt you'll see a scout package on a levergun, but it would be a nice option. That much is for sure.

I never considered the price. It probably would not sell well. Maybe in the custom department? But then the price would be to high. Maybe offer a Winchester 94 with a scout mount/rings of their own design? Buy the scope of your choosing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
MikeG said:
I just don't see the advantage of the 'scout' concept, honestly.

I can put a low power variable on either a lever or a bolt gun and it seems like it has all the advantages of either type of setup .... say 1.5x5 or 2x7?

Haven't shot a true 'scout' so maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.
The scout concept is really a fancy set of ghost ring sights. You have your regular open sights, then semi-buckhorn and then full buckhorn, then ghost ring sights. Each time you you acquire a better sight picture (Keeping both eyes open). HEY, I just remembered. Numrich has a ghost ring sight you can install on your regular rear sights.

And a Lever Scout is just something different. Just another toy.

Mine is a Winchester 94AE Trapper in 30-30. The reciever has a color cased finish. I installed a John Wayne lever (color cased also I acquired from Cherry's). The scout mount is from XS Sight Systems(formally AO). The scope is a Leupold Scout Scope. I hope to someday send off my barrel bands, trigger, hammer, scope rings, and buttplate and have then color cased. The rest of the parts (except for the receiver/lever) I want to have them refinished in Roguard(Moly based finish). It takes time and money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts