Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

In Britain we have two main species of Seal the "Common" (round headed/puppy dog eyes) And the "Grey" ( big 7ft ugly long muzzle )
Both are protected by law you need a special licence but I believe if the are found within 100 yards of Salmon cages the can be shot.
Our legal requirement minimum calibre is .22 Hornet although larger is recommend.
No Seals are shot for sport and certinally not for food ! Apparently the seals in the Irish sea have so much heavy metals in there livers it would almost be worth shooting them for it !

Some years back commercial fisherman got the government to carry out a national cull , but as soon as TV pictures of Seals being head shot by rifles the cull had to be abandoned.

Today the only seals killed in Britain are up in the Scottish Islands Mull, Uist , Sky etc were Salmon cages are big business thousands of young Salmon grown in open water cages. Seals found close too can be shot.

The only uses I know of made of seals is there tanned skins made into "sporrans" (bag at the front of a Scotsmans kilt)

I would be interested to know if Seals can be hunted in your area ? Are they eaten ? What are the skins used for ? And what calibre rifles are normally used.

Nearly got a chance to shoot Grey seals over Salmon cages once but my mate moved, I would have skinned any I shot I love utilising skins and hides from game. But due to pollution I would not of been able to eat them, any one tell me what they taste like??

Englander

·
Registered
247 Posts
As far as I know around the U.S. coast line all seals are protected,but inn either Greenland or Iceland they can be hunted,read an article a few months back were JD Jones off SSK fame shot a couple on a hunt , using one of his single shot TC's

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Seals can be hunted in Alaska by the Native population for subsistance and culture purposes. They are eaten and thoroughly enjoyed at many Spirit Camps, Cultural Events and Potlucks.

Most are shot with whatever is used for deer hunting. Typically 223's, 308's, 7.62x39's, etc...

I personally don't care for the taste. Very fishy and greasy. The texture leaves something to be desired too. However, I am deathly allergic to shellfish, so that might be a reason I don't care for them. Most consider it a delicacy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts