Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a recommended seating depth for 165 grain cast bullets for a reduced charge load I am working on for my 03A3.I normally seat 150 grain sp to a depth of 3.23 using 46 grains of H-4895,but that depth leaves very little of my cast bulley seated.I set a couple at 3.205 which was the measurement I got off a Remington factory load,but this leaves the upper lube band exposed.To seat the bullet to the upper lube groove I needed to seat to 3.12 inches.I am loading 33.4 grains of H-4895 and am wondering if the shortened O.A.L. will increase pressure,or allow to much run in the chamber.The only thing I can find reading is Deeper seating is O.K. with reduced loads,but no specifics.Any info on cast mlitary loads will be helpful.:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
I don't think you are going to have a problem with that charge weight, in any case. The load is reduced enough to not cause problems.

My thoughts are: 1. Seat so that the bullet engraves the rifling when the bolt closes. Of course this may leave very little of the bullet in the case mouth, as well as exposing the lube. 2. Seat to the crimp groove, and see how they shoot with that much jump. 3. Start experimenting with the seating depths to see what the rifle likes.

I like #1 as an option the best, and just am careful handling the ammunition so that the bullets don't get dirty. Not a problem for target loads; may be an issue for hunting load.s. #2 is the 'safe' bet as far as avoiding problems with the bullet lube and such.

I'd recommend a Lee Factory Crimp die, in any event. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,Mike.I have the seating guide for everything I own except of course the 30/06.These loads will be for target and just plinking around.Excellent advice on the Lee crimp Die,for that is what I use on everything except the 45-70 where I use a taper die.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts