Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to reloading, and was working up some hunting loads for my NMBH 45colt. 23 grains h110, with a 300 XTP/JHP. Anyway, my question is this: There is no real published data on this load, just what people have tried and tested, so I was a bit confused on the overall case length. I seated and crimped to the first of the 2 crimp groves on the bullet, and this left it at about 1.68". I loaded a dozen or so of these, and went to shoot them, they were to long to chamber in my gun. So, I went back and made some more, seated and crimped them to the second grove, and they came out to be 1.6". What is the proper depth? What kind of preassure differences is this going to make? Help is appreciated. Thanks. Oh yeah, trim length is 1.28".

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Swilk:
  Here's what Hornady #4 has to say about the 300 grain HP/XTP in Rugers & T/C guns.
Max. case length = 1.285"
Case trim length = 1.275
Cartridge overall length = 1.585
Winchester case
Winchester WLP primer
Max. load of Winchester 296 is 21.3 grains.
Velocity is 1300 fps in a 10" T/C barrel.

It looks like you have to use the second groove for the .45 Colt. Perhaps the first groove is for the .45-70?  W296 and H110 are supposed to be the same powder, but they're known for large lot-to-lot variations. I'd be a bit cautious about using 23 grains.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 9:42 am on Nov. 9, 2001)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I got the load data from a couple of different places, sixgunner.com had some h110 loads, and so did loadswap from beartooth. I am going to be working up some loads using cast bullets, and get completely away from jacketed, but I had these, so I am using them. John Linebaugh stated loads for NMBH 45's as a 300gr. JHP over 23.5gr. H110 as his top load. I backed it down .5gr. and am going to see how these shoot. I might end up going into the 22gr. area, just depends how these shoot. Has anyone tried lil' gun powder in these types of loads for the 45? Are ther as much pressure and velocity variations with lil' gun when compared to h110? They seem to perform closely, I might have to give that a try.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
From what I gather, most of the high-pressure .45 Colt loads are designed to work with an OAL around 1.660" - which is pretty close to what you ended up with.

Good observation that Hornady shows the shorter OAL, and also a lighter powder charge than most data sources.  I'd say that one pretty much explains the other.

If you bullets are sticking in the cylinder throat with the longer OAL, then the throats are clearly undersized - a common condition these days, it seems.   This might not hurt accuracy too much with jacketed, but it tough on cast.  And I'd be quite concerned that it could raise pressures, so be cautious in working up your loads.

I'd start with 20 grains, with the shorter OAL, and go from there.  Have loaded some of the Hornadys in the past and as I recall they shot pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts