Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for info on heavy cast wide meplat bullets, something like what the bowling pin shooters load, for a field load.

Bullet sources and load info that includes velocity and pressures is what I'm after, plus info on any gun issues that might be involved.

What's the heaviest 45 ACP bullet that's practical in a semi-auto?

I have a Phillipine made 1911 mil-spec gun that will be the field gun with the cast loads.

Thanks in advance,

Grizz

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Well, the bullet in my avatar is a 300 grain design I had custom made by Lee. It actually casts about 287 grains with #2 alloy, but with a 20 lb spring in a 1911 it works fine. It just isn't available commercially. It also limits powder space pretty severely. 5 grians of Power Pistol is in +P territory and gets about 750 fps from a 5" tube with it.

The main issue with really heavy cast bullets in .45 ACP is that the cases get thicker as you near the head. That means you need a slight boattail on the bullet to fit it deeply enough in the case without bulging the brass too fat to chamber. That design of mine has a .125" long 5° boattail. The flat nose needs to be seated to about 1.200" COL, which also limits powder space. If I were doing it over, I'd give up a little meplat width by increasing the radius at the meplat and moving the bearing surface just slightly back to allow it to seat out a little further.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,700 Posts
I have loaded 255gr SWCs (design unknown) that were purchased in bulk. About 5 grains of WW231 sends them out the barrel of my Ruger P90 at 875fps or so. Speer lists data for their 260gr. jacketed bullet in the .45 ACP which is where I got the data. However, my starting load was also the only load I tried as velocities were a bit higher than expected.

I have a handful of bullets cast from the RCBS 270gr. "SAA" mold (think that's what it's called) and have been intending to see what they would do. No data yet, though.

Beartooth has a 260gr. flat-nosed bullet but I have not yet done much work with it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

Looks like the 300 is a stretch in the ACP format. Buffalo Bore has a 255 I see. Maybe I should give that one a try just to see if I like it. Or if the gun likes it.

Regards,

Grizz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts