Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a hunting partner. i live in austin texas. i hunt with bow. i hunt elk, deer, caribou, moose etc. i have hunted in alaska, colorado, and new mexico. i am 52 years old and athletic. i'm easy going, respectable and respectful toward others. i am looking for the same in a hunting partner. i can visit on the phone and skype so that we can interview each other.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, Dan!

Are you looking for a partner for a specific upcoming hunt? Or someone that may become a long-time partner going on a few or several hunts a year?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm ideally looking for a long term hunting partner. i don't have a specific hunt planned for the
fall of 2014. i'd like to do an elk hunt or an alaskan hunt next fall. here in texas, we are in
the middle of deer season that goes through jan 20. How about yourself?
i've hunted in many parts of NM.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I usually stick pretty close to home (budget reasons), but I have been know to travel as far as 130 miles for antelope! (:)D)) Plus each and every year I receive an invite to go antelope hunting in Wyoming, but I've yet to go. A bunch of guys get together, camp out, and trim the herds. I know it'd be good times, I'm just too busy or too frugal, or both. It isn;t that I don;t have time, just that I don;t make it.

Pretty much I hunt deer and pigs south of Cloudcroft, and I have a cow elk tag for that Unit this year. Most of the time, I hunt alone or take somebody with a "vested" interest in helping, but does not have a tag of their own. Though of course I've hunted with other hunters so we can help cut and drag animals.

I'm asking more out of just general curiosity. You've got a lot of hunters there around Austin.

ON EDIT: I will say, though, if I go to Wyoming this September or next, and if you're still hanging with us here in the forum, I'd be happy to consider a one-time partner. Antelope licenses are sold over the counter, they say. The problem with New Mexico is, if a guy wants to hunt oryx or elk or deer here, he has to be on his toes and working at it a year in advance, due to the draw system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a friend who has a ranch in union county nm. he's offered to let me hunt pronghorn there. they do have some big ones. i've just never been able to sneak off in august. maybe this year? i've never hunted pronghorn. i have hunted unit 34 once. it was 2001, the week before 9/11. didn't know there were wild hogs in the area but its not surprising the way they are spreading. i know what you mean about taking a helper. through the years i have done trading with partners. i'll have the tag one year and them the next. i have as much fun helping as i do when i'm the shooter. virtually the same experience but you don't have the expense of a tag. LOL
never hunting in wyoming, hope to someday.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,885 Posts
When you get south of Cloudcroft, sneak on over SE to Weed and Sacramento, Stretch - where I lived as a young sprout in the mid 40's. Terrorized the countryside with my single shot Stevens-Springfield .22LR.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
i have hunted unit 34 once. it was 2001, the week before 9/11. didn't know there were wild hogs in the area but its not surprising the way they are spreading.................
Unit 34 is where I apply for all hunts accept for Oryx and antelope. And the hogs are lower, some in Avis, down south of Weed toward Pinon.

When you get south of Cloudcroft, sneak on over SE to Weed and Sacramento, Stretch - where I lived as a young sprout in the mid 40's. Terrorized the countryside with my single shot Stevens-Springfield .22LR.
What a great place to grow up! Every year I'm all over Weed and into Sacramento (Bluewater canyon). You could blindfold me, and I could still almost lead you out of there! I can hardly pass the sawmill without stopping in and chatting with the owner and head foreman, though I haven;t been by in a couple of years. I'm envious, Kdub, thinking back to my childhood years. Spent mostly around the hill country (Temple, Killeen, Belton, Lampases, Copperas Cove) and El Paso, Texas. As good as the hill country was, I might've traded it for Bluewater and Pinon Draw Canyons!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dan, I live in Llano if you get out this and want to BS, over a cold one pm me. Mike:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mike. a cold one sounds good. i don't have any trips up your way. if you are seriously interested, we could email or talk on the phone and see where we can go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts