Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been doing some research on a model 98 mauser i recently acquired best I can tell is that it was made in 1944 at the Gustloff Werke's in Weimar (on the receiver is bcd and 4.) other then that i havent come across alot of info and was wondering if anyone else out there could fill in some history on this rifle. The only other info i can give is that all the parts i can see are marked with the serial number or some part of it, for example there is an eagle holding a swatistka on the barrell with serial number 31619, on the the rest of the medal parts there is a 1619.

Right above the "bcd" on the receiver is a nazi eagle with what looks like either a 749 or a z49. on the right of the receiver there is a 1 followed by a very deeply imprinted triangular mark that is hard to make (maybe a nazi eagle) and that is followed by an eagle holding a swatstika with the 749 or z49 marking.

Also a little bit past those markings on the right side but before the rear sight is what looks like a lower case a.

other then those markings i cant really make out too much else. also this rifle does not have the cleaning rod attachement that other model 98's have that i've seen pictures of.

Thanks for any help.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Well, you pretty well have it nailed down. 1944 mauser, wartime production, sounds like a decent specimen with many of the stamps intact. Bore any good? Have you shot it? Import marks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bore is good, some slight rust but no pitting. I havent shot it yet, im trying to decide whether i should or just display it. do you happen to know what the 749 (or z49) means? i was wondering if i was missing anything with this rifle because so many other 98's have alot more armory markings.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
You find more, sometimes, and often less. Military guns were captured, reused, rearsenaled, you name it. Lots of them have been 'scrubbed' of most of the markings.

Then bolts and other stuff gets swapped around. Like a box of chocolates.... never know what you are going to get!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.