Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has an H&R 949 .22 that he is convinced there exists a replacement cylinder in .22 mag. I have had no luck in locating one. Does anyone know if someone actually made/makes .22 mag cylinder for this piece?

·
Super Moderator
9,425 Posts
Memory...fickle...was all set to say "there ain't none", but H&R made a lot af varieties with diffeernt numbers. Grabed a stack of assorted Guns Digest...found a picture and listing (1979...probably ohter years as well, but stopped once I found this listing)for a mod. 676, which is a 6-shot variations with case colored frame and a slightly differtent trigger guard, but visually close to the 949. Also a Mod. 666.a basic pull-pin type DA.

No promise these convertable models didn't have a larger frame than the old 949 and therefore longer cylinders...but it looks like there were some 6shot variations...but of course, aren't interchangeable with a 9-shot.

·
Banned
105 Posts
My first gun was an H&R 949 in .22lr. I don't recall a convertible version, and that was almost 30 years ago. Ruger and Heritage are the only companies that come to mind that offers a 22 rimfire revolver with interchangeable cylinders.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The 22 mag is of larger dia. bullet than the standard 22's. you can get standard 22 cal. cly. for the 22 mag but not the other way around. Bobby

·
Super Moderator
9,425 Posts
Did a bit more checking...only H&R .22mag. cylinders were 6-shot. Aren't going to work with the 9shot 649, so your firend is indeed looking for what he won't find.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I back up Ribbonstone's comment. I just checked with my 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms. All the 600 series revolvers made by H&R were of a 6-shot design only. They were offered in .22 lr and .22WMR. The 900 series of revolvers (hence your 949) were of a 9-shot cylinder design and offered in .22lr (+ long & short) only. Yep, I'd have to say that Bohemotash's buddy is barking up the wrong tree also. I can only say that I wish I still had mine, it would be worth more than I paid for it over 25 years ago. I think it cost me a whole $49 or $59 new back then.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I looked up the dia. of the 22 WMR it is .224, standard 22's is .222. Bobby

·
Registered
6 Posts
A friend has an H&R 949 .22 that he is convinced there exists a replacement cylinder in .22 mag. I have had no luck in locating one. Does anyone know if someone actually made/makes .22 mag cylinder for this piece?
hey i just bought a h r model 949 in perfect condition, they are great revolvers and i actually perfer the fixed cylinder rather than the revolvers that you can kick to the side. but parts for these are super rare. im looking for pearl grips for mine and have had no luck

·
Super Moderator
9,425 Posts
17 years..that's a long reach-back on this post.

OK...I got good at repairing H&R revolvers.I liked buying cheap broken revolvers and making them into functioning revolvers. Kept several of them because they actually shot much better than popular belief.

So there is a place in my heart for really simple, "stupid proof", knock-about revolvers.

BUt....I'm going to be rude, and deliver a quote from George Patton.

“Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore- house carries pearl-handled revolvers. These are ivory.”

Now before you take too much offence...I am from Lousiana...and I've been in a whore-house or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no offense taken man that gave me a good laugh haha, so i should go with ivory? i just got it a few days ago and its the first gun ive owned. but ive been around/shot guns all my life so not everything is new to me just pistols and revolvers, i looked up the serial on it and it was AC which i think is 1970 ish and it still looks brand new, i remeber being on here a few years ago and reading this thread about H&R and how there cheap but reliable, so i got it and its been great so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
17 years..that's a long reach-back on this post.

OK...I got good at repairing H&R revolvers.I liked buying cheap broken revolvers and making them into functioning revolvers. Kept several of them because they actually shot much better than popular belief.

So there is a place in my heart for really simple, "stupid proof", knock-about revolvers.

BUt....I'm going to be rude, and deliver a quote from George Patton.

“Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore- house carries pearl-handled revolvers. These are ivory.”

Now before you take too much offence...I am from Lousiana...and I've been in a whore-house or two.
i didnt even notice how old the original post was lmao

·
Super Moderator
9,425 Posts
I liked those.....otherwise marketed as the "fourty niner" to take advantage of the popularity of westerns at the time.

Never saw anything but wood grips...and it's unique grip style of H&R so nothing else really fits.

One of those times when functioning is going to beat pretty....don't think you'll ever find a white set of grips (which would be plastic) that would fit. Seriously doubt anyone ever made a rear set of mother of pearl (which is actually a sucky grip material).

It's in really nice shape for it's age....leave it alone and just use it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I liked those.....otherwise marketed as the "fourty niner" to take advantage of the popularity of westerns at the time.

Never saw anything but wood grips...and it's unique grip style of H&R so nothing else really fits.

One of those times when functioning is going to beat pretty....don't think you'll ever find a white set of grips (which would be plastic) that would fit. Seriously doubt anyone ever made a rear set of mother of pearl (which is actually a sucky grip material).

It's in really nice shape for it's age....leave it alone and just use it?
the only place i could find was a website run by a older gentleman who crafts the 1 piece grips for 49ers by hand, and he has a list of materials to choose from to make the grip (wood,ivory, stag antler and a type of plastic or rubber but im not sure which) some are pricey considering he does them all by hand and its usually a 30 day wait after ordering, but you send in the model and brand of your gun with dimensions abd he can make one for just about any gun, he does engraving on them too. but i may do what you said and stick with the wooden grip until i actually need a new grip lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts