Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When selling a pistol out-of-state, what is the standard protocol (if any) for the buyer?  Is the buyer allowed to shoot the pistol before final decision etc?  I read via GunsAmerica that the buyer may not test fire the pistol during the 3 day inspection period.  I have someone who is interested and I'd like to be as accomodating as possible but I also want to be protected from their using their own  handloads .

Thanks all.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Typically, Its a 3 day inspection only with no firing. This is more important with new guns of course as they would then become used.

I would just allow a 3 day myself because you never know what they will use in it. Then you'll wind up with a gun that is used even more.

This is like buying a new lawn mower, cutting your lawn, then bringing it back for return. And yes, I've seen that done more than once.

Just a thought.

Regards

·
Registered
287 Posts
Alan- When you buy a gun from a gunstore, you're allowed to look it over all you want. Rarely are you allowed to test-fire it. Think of all the guns we'd return if they didn't meet our accuracy criteria, or if we thought it kicked too hard.--Bob

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys -

It looks like I may have a local buyer interested in my Redhawk; Sorry Dan - I'll need to pass on them purdy undersized lapping bullets :biggrin:   What should/do I need to do to show that the pistol, when sold, is no longer registered to me?  Is it a simple matter of "I sold this to him" kind of written bill of sale?

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Alan,

I would suggest it might be wise to have him answer the same questions I have to every time I purchase a gun -- is he a convicted felon? is he an illegal alien? has he just escaped from an insane asylum? Is he on the "lam"? Has he slept with anyone from Cameroon within the last 3 years? (on my last Red Cross blood contribution), is the money from his tax refund? does he have Dianne Sawyer's permission, and last but not least, is he a Repulican?

And I'm sure I've missed some of the other intelligent questions.

Dan

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great points Dan - but I'd better make sure he's a consevative Republican - them fence-sitter Repub's is sneaky  :^)

Anyone know if the standard form questions referenced above are available via the net?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Alan,

If you go through a recieving FFL on his end, they will handle the pertinent details, etc.

The gent will have to conform to whatever laws are on his end anyway to take possession of the gun. His FFL will be responsible for compliance on his end.

Now do that voodoo that you do so well. :biggrin:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI - I sold the Redhawk to a local buyer (he has visited BTB, Sixguns etc which was cool).  He saw my ad on the Ruger Forum.  Anywho, I contacted the Oregon State Police and asked what I should do regarding the private sale of my pistol.  Oddly, the officer I spoke to did not recommend the &#3610 background check - essentially his was a "do-it" if it makes you feel better sort of response.  Important note:  BG checks are mandatory in Oregon if I were to have sold the Redhawk to a private party at a gunshow.  This officer faxed me a State generated firearms sale/transfer form  and stated this document, when signed and dated, removes any liability towards me if something were to happen in the future.

Ray - FYI...going through a receiving FFL would have cost &#3635.00 for "their" paperwork and an additional &#3610.00 for the background check.  If Oregon law required it obviously I would have do so but since the OSP  spearheads the rules and regs for firearms sales and transfers, I figure I'm safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts