Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Born in 1986 so missed what seems the golden age of black powder shooting, however, thankfully we have this forum to prevent total loss. So far stunned by all the help, very grateful for it.

Opa was a gun smith who carved his grips and stocks, either for percussion caps or Winchesters, plus shot black powder (and an excellent shot). He had to quit due to Parkinson's by the time I could remember, to this day regret not asking more, was only after he had long past became interested. For years his two best long pistols sat on top of the Magnavox tube tele and his rifle cleaning rod with a pencil eraser shoved on the end sitting on the shelf ready to push the buttons. Thankfully his daughter didn't find the one with tiger maple grip so am now custodian.

When Dad passed, went back to Oma and Opa's where Dad had lived, and help clear out and rescue what could. I rescued his shooting jacket from donation and also took a chest of drawers without looking in it, all the gun parts on the bench were gone (most likely his daughter when helping Dad clear out some of their parents' stuff however the garage people door was never locked). Turns out was a lot of gun stuff in there:
ends of Winchester barrels which been sawed off (why would anyone cut a Winchester is beyond me)
a cut down rifle barrel (who knows where the rest of it is)
a Belgian double barrel 12 guage without the trigger or stock
few rifle butts possibly for Winchester
a mono-block lever action needing completing without anything else
Mossberg 44US 22LR barrel on an unknown action
Mauser Model 1871 with working action though missing mounting hardware and stock
a couple of percussion cap grips Opa carved and three barrels which don't seem to fit.
All this going to have there own threads, point being, now have plenty to sort out and maybe take to the range, with the Mauser being my most wanting to (in part because of Prussian ancestry which blessed me with red hair).

Prost! :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems you have a lot of projects to keep you busy during this social distancing thing. Clearing out after a loved one's passing can be sad and rewarding. One never knows what you'll find that brings back memories, but sometimes you'll find an unfinished project that you can finish in their memory. Dive in and imagine them beside you guiding you in the project. And tell us more about the mauser if it becomes one of your completion projects.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts