Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Many many hunters and shooters, not counting just people, who might have a shotgun in the home for self-defense do actually understand and know what the loaded rounds will do inside the home.

If you have children or older people in the home, I for one advise using the shotgun instead of your 9mm, .40cal, 45acp or 10mm etc. The shotgun loaded with plan jane #7.5 shot will do all you need to do in the home. Now outside is another story, this is where you want #2's or BB's loaded in the shotgun, it works fine up to 40 yards.

If the Prep, is running out in the pasture, 40 or 60 yards away after robbing or hurting someone, then you want the Triple 0 Buckshot. It will take out a person to 85 yards! I live in a rual area, where homes are not 25ft to 50 ft apart. So I have my riot pump gun loaded with the first 3 shots coming out the barrel #7.5 shot, next 2 shots are #2's, after that, it is Triple 0 Buck. My shotgun holds 8 rounds in magazine and one in the chamber. 9 rounds total with a open cyl bore.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Thanks Jason. Good video, but I couldn;t hear it (my speakers aren't working!).

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jason. Good video, but I couldn;t hear it (my speakers aren't working!).
In a nutshell, for those who don't care to watch the video, 9mm, 45acp, 223 and shotguns with buck shot all go through multiple layers of drywall. A shotgun with a target load puts a world of hurtin' on a bad guy, but doesn't even penetrate the 2nd layer of board on the off-side of the first wall. They conclude that even if a few pellets did get through both layers the flattened pellets would have lost so much energy as to present little threat to anyone on the far side.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Is that the same guy who advocates abandoning the 40 S&W and returning to the 9mm? I can;t tell if that's him or just a guy that looks similar.

Anyway, while there is always a pistol or revolver for defense in my home, I agree that the shotgun reigns supreme, in just about any loaded configuration. And, as evidenced, much less likely to over-penetrate.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That was a good video but there was a big problem with the demonstration. there was no insulation in the walls he made. There is insulation inside of the walls of houses and I'm sure that has an effect on the various projectiles going through the walls. That Demonstration needs to be done with insulation inside the walls to see what really happens.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That was a good video but there was a big problem with the demonstration. there was no insulation in the walls he made. There is insulation inside of the walls of houses and I'm sure that has an effect on the various projectiles going through the walls. That Demonstration needs to be done with insulation inside the walls to see what really happens.

That's what I was wondering as well, I would think even the different kinds of insulation could make a difference and some of the projectiles wouldn't penetrate as far as they did. It was a good video otherwise.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it depends on where your house is located, but many homes do NOT have insulation between interior walls. At the same time, I would point out that the odds of shooting straight into a wall at 5-10' are pretty low; most errant shots are more likely to be fired at an angle to a wall.

One thing this video does show is how tight of a pattern a shotgun throws at short distances. I had always thought you could just point in the general direction and the pattern would take care of the rest, but for close engagements, this is clearly not so.

The last point I would make is that the sound of a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun being cycled may well be all the deterrent a would-be assailant needs to vacate the premises, post-haste. It is an unmistakable sound with serious ramifications. :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
In a nutshell, for those who don't care to watch the video, 9mm, 45acp, 223 and shotguns with buck shot all go through multiple layers of drywall. A shotgun with a target load puts a world of hurtin' on a bad guy, but doesn't even penetrate the 2nd layer of board on the off-side of the first wall. They conclude that even if a few pellets did get through both layers the flattened pellets would have lost so much energy as to present little threat to anyone on the far side.
Know that for years and ALWAYS recommend clay bird loads for the home. Shoot an empty laundry detergent bottle at 20' and see the damage done. No need for slugs or buck in a house where the fighting will be measured in feet not yards.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I felt the crux of the demo was to show how many layers the different projectiles would penitrate on interior walls that did not normally have insulation in them. Kind of like seeing how far our hunting loads would penitrate layers of news print or boards in a box in an effort to determine terminal balistics. When I built my home I put insulation between the walls of the living room and the master bed room for noise reduction. It does help there and I think they do that for aprtments. I know we did that between the rooms here at school for that reason. I know Rob Pincus from his videos put out by the NRA on different personal protection techniques. Lou

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
Shooting a perp

Pursuing & shooting a perp 40 yards outside of your house and running away from you? IT'S GONNA BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CLAIM SELF DEFENSE, when your life is clearly no longer in danger. YOU will likely be charged as the aggressor with brandishing to murder. I have NO SYMPATHY for a thief. What's the $ value on anything he may have stolen, that wasn't insured compared to the legal fees you are going to be looking at. Yes laws differ place to place. Would I shoot someone that attacked & injured ME/ MINE/ OR EVEN MY DOG? Pretty much 100% YES, but there's a big difference between an assault/rape, vs a robbery/burglary.

·
Registered
484 Posts
IIRC in a 1oz load of 71/2's there are 300 pellets! FBI states 99.9 % of the time a pump gun racks a round the bad guy's haul it away from the sound! It is a very unpleasant sound in the dark, even if you rack the round! :eek:this is what the bad guys look like!

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
mike2010,

When I went through the Academy in 1971, our firearms instructor pontificated about how "racking a pump shotgun will make the bad guys skedaddle." Times have changed! Racking the slide on a semi-auto pistol or a pump shotgun in the dark during a home invasion will most probably DIRECT the Bad Guy's gun fire IN your direction.

Whether you are hunting deer or repelling a home invader, I think it is best to merely snick off the safety and fire the shot in total surprise to your target. Why "Blow your Cover?" Also, FBI statistics indicate you are most probably to be confronted with MULTIPLE Assailants. Why give away your position with the "shuck, shuck" noise since the bad guys assume you are still sleeping?

Webley

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mike2010,

When I went through the Academy in 1971, our firearms instructor pontificated about how "racking a pump shotgun will make the bad guys skedaddle." Times have changed! Racking the slide on a semi-auto pistol or a pump shotgun in the dark during a home invasion will most probably DIRECT the Bad Guy's gun fire IN your direction.

Whether you are hunting deer or repelling a home invader, I think it is best to merely snick off the safety and fire the shot in total surprise to your target. Why "Blow your Cover?" Also, FBI statistics indicate you are most probably to be confronted with MULTIPLE Assailants. Why give away your position with the "shuck, shuck" noise since the bad guys assume you are still sleeping?

Webley

That's a different take than I've ever heard...are there any documented cases of criminals proceeding directly toward the sound of a pump shotgun being cycled? Color me dubious.

I am of the opinion that most criminals are cowards. What's more, I don't really want to kill anyone. If I can make them aware that they have chosen the wrong home to invade, causing them to leave in an awful hurry, I'm all for that. If racking the action gets their attention and compromises my element of surprise, that's obviously not ideal.

My guess is they'll be doing their best to hold their bladder as they beat a hasty retreat. YMMV

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
broom jm,

There are many cases I know of that racking a semi-auto pistol slide, or racking a shotgun had CAUSED the Bad Guys to DIRECT gunfire TO the "shuck shuck" noise. SOME criminals may be cowards, some are professional and some are drugged. Do NOT assume you are facing only ONE bad guy in a home invasion. You need to preserve your hearing when you shoot as you need to hear the other guys coming your way.

For far too many years I have heard the old SAW, "Rack that pump gun and the mope will run away with a wet spot in his pants." WELL, the soothsayer NEVER added "the rest of the story." What do you do when the bad guy shoots back? This Old Wives' Tale is akin to the infamous Garand clip "Ping." Folks spinning these yarns NEVER lived them.

If a bad guy does not shoot at your "shuck shuck", I guarantee he will throw his tire iron, hammer, hatchet or whatever he is carrying AT you. So, do NOT advertise you are awake and armed in your dark home. The cavalry will arrive late, if at all, so preserve your home court advantage.

Webley

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really don't care about collateral damage to my interior walls as long as I neutralize the threat to my family.
The point of the video was not about collateral damage to the walls, but to the very family you're trying to protect...it is quite likely they are on the other side of that wall.

·
Banned
4,911 Posts
My guess is they'll be doing their best to hold their bladder as they beat a hasty retreat.
I have to agree. Watch some of these videos wherein some youthful thugs stage an armed hold-up in a public place, like a Miami bingo parlor. In the one I've seen, in the background is a former Marine. He's packin' heat. The thugs get in range and in a good place for a shot, and the Marine opens up on 'em with an automatic pistol. The thugs can't scramble out of there fast enough. They literally fight each other to get out the door. The retired soldier lets 'em have it until he's out of ammo. By that time, the thugs are out the door and down the street. No patrons injured, but I'd guess there's one or two miscreants headed for the hospital...

Bucolic Buffalo has a very large avatar. Can I have one that big?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts