Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been wanting a different exercise bike so when I heard a guy call the radio trade show saying he was looking for one I gave him a call. Turns out he also had a Belgian-made BAR in .30-06 for sale. We sold the bike for $250. I bought his BAR for $650. It is in 94% condition with the wear all being on the forearm, it came with a sling, gun case and a nice Leupold 3x9 plus two boxes of cartridges and one box of brass. This is my first BAR and while I wasn't really looking for a .30-06 it fills a need as I traded off a .300 WSM last year.;)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
My cousin bought one in .300 Win Mag last spring and really enjoys it. I don't like how loud his is with the BOSS brake, he ordered a regular one that didn't act as a muzzle brake. When we were hunting antelope this last season, he had a failure to fire - no dimple on the primer or anything. He racked it and it shot fine and hasn't done it again.

His is quite accurate and allows him to shoot the .300WM without much recoil.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sweet!!! i've been thinking about picking up a bar to play with sometime. not to change the subject but since thanksgiving i've been in the scheels stores in Bismarck, Fargo and Coralville, IA and all three stores had a rack full of the winchester SR1 (?) semiauto rifles for $499... they were showing $899 for the regular price. i wonder what gives??

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm hoping I got a good deal. Will try to shoot it day if the weather cooperates. Can anyone tell me which year Browning quit making these in Belgium. And Mattsbox, you're only 140 miles away. If you pass through Miles City sometime stop and say hello.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Heck of a deal, if you ask me! Any time you can sell the exercise bike for a gun is great! :D

Had the opportunity to buy a Belgum made Browning O/U in the late 60's, but didn't have the money at the time. Alway regretted not scrounging up the funds somehow.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, I'm hoping I got a good deal. Will try to shoot it day if the weather cooperates. Can anyone tell me which year Browning quit making these in Belgium. And Mattsbox, you're only 140 miles away. If you pass through Miles City sometime stop and say hello.
Where does it say yours is mfg at? I had one in the late 80's that said made in Belgium assembled in Portugal.

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, mine simply has "Made in Belgium" stamped on the barrel. It seems to shoot well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jim, mine simply has "Made in Belgium" stamped on the barrel. It seems to shoot well.
My Father shot a Belgium BAR in a 300wm and it was a great rifle. Never misfed and always grouped well. It was a pretty gun too, nice bluing. Me on the other hand had a 338 and had nothing but issues with it from the day I brought it home to the day I got rid of it.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The "All Belgium" BARs ended in the mid 70s timeframe, if I'm not mistaken. I have owned several BARs, they are one of my favorite rifle types. I still have a couple of GRII Belgian guns in '06. One is a hunter and the other has been retired to simply being a looker...lol. I have another Belgium/Portugal and one newer Safari Grade .270 with GRII wood. Congrats on that nice new rifle!

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks TNhunter. Love your state. Used to have to fly to Nashville on a semi-regular basis. If you or anyone else has any handloading tips for the ought-six BAR I'd appreciate knowing them. I have a couple box of Winchester ammo to shoot up then will handloads some 165-grain Sierra Game Kings. I'm a Berger fan but I worry about the VLDs cycling in this action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts