Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Technically, an LBT design is a semi-wadcutter. Cowboy bullets are usually-but not always- roundnose flat-point bullets. The meplat diameter of semi-wadcutters varies with the bullet designers and mould manufacturers. An excellent example of this is the "Elmer Keith" bullet. Lyman sells it as 429421, which is different from Keiths original design. RCBS sells it as the 44-250K, which is heavier that Lymans version, the front driving band is larger and it more closely matches Keiths original design.Another feature of the LBT design is more of the bullets weight is in the nose vs. the RN-FP, or the Keith designs. This weight allows the bullet to track straighter through the game animal. Roundnose bullets tend to deflect easily, even upon impact, and even swap ends and travel inside the game base first, wasting valuable energy. If you are looking for a recommendation for a mould for whitetail, the 44 (I assume we're talking about a 44) Keith (Either Lyman or RCBS, I prefer the RCBS personally) would work well if you're looking for a production mould.

· Registered
287 Posts
The ported barrel really does narrow the field of 240-250 grainers. Lyman 429244 comes to mind. This is commonly referred to as the "Thompson" bullet. There are also LBT designs available from the custom makers in this weight range. The nice thing about these is that you can often order finished bullets from Beartooth or Cast Performance and actually try them before you buy a mould. You can also custom order them sized however you want. RCBS also has a 240 gr. gaschecked mould, but mine always casts the bullets too light, I have to really work to get anywhere near 240 grains.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.