Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a new Sendero 25-06 from a dealer. Its my understanding they normally no longer make this rifle in this caliber. They explained to me a wholesaler requested a large volume of these rifles from Remington and they agreed to manufacture them due to the volume.
Does this sound unusual?
Is it normal for a company to do this?
I really want one of these rifle but never heard of this before.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Companies make runs of certain chamberings and then switch over the machinery to something else for a while. Sometimes for a particular distributorship, and sometimes just because. It may or may not be back due to demand, inventory, etc.

Don't sweat it. If you want it, buy it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, looks like a road trip on Monday or Tuesday. He's asking $1039, the last one I bought was a 7mm and I think it was about $1100.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i recall seeing the 25/06 in the sendero as a regular catalog item... i could be wrong though...make sure the dealer isn't feeding you a line to try to gouge you on the price.
the hs precision stocked senderos are more expensive than the wood stocked, if i recall correctly a buddy of mine was looking at a 25/06 sendero a year or so ago that was a wood stocked gun...

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
A quick search showed the Sendero is discontinued for the SFII model, which is only in Win Mag and RUM calibers.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rem. built the Sendero in 25-06 for several years before the SFII version came out. Me & my one off my brothers have one, mine is the plain blued, his is blue & fluted. They also had stainless fluted for a short while. My oldest son has one as well. Me & my brother sent ours to Kirby Allen in MT & he converted them to 25-06AI plus he skim bedded, sq. bolt face, the works. They are screamers.

If it is not more than you want to spend get it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the stainless fluted barrel according to the dealer. I asked him several times to make sure. He has 3 and is willing to hold me one until the weekend.
That caliber was not included when they started back making the senderos. He told me at a gun show several months ago that he could get me one from a distributor only to find out that they were out. I just called him back Friday and luckily he found some.
What surprises me is that Remington doe'st list them but will still make them if the right quanity is needed. Why not just go ahead and make them. I did e-mail remington a couple of weeks ago to see if they have lately produced any and maybe point me in the right direction but never got a response.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Buy it, but DO NOT pay more than $1100 for it, unless you are REALLY wanting it. New SFII's go between $1000 and $1100.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sounds like an awesome caliber in my type of rifle. Heavy/Varmint for precise shooting. Only because of caliber would I give an even $1000. For another caliber i'd give less, better options are out there for equal money.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, if you could find a Savage 112 FVSS or any other Savage 112, I would strongly recommend it. Or The Savage Law Enforcement series in 24" barrel would crank. Definitely better than other choices for price. The long action 12, the 112 has been discontinued in favor, apparently, for short actions. Shame. Mine will do under a half inch with anything I load in it, all with a different zero. I would do research on the Savage page and also look for used on the net, but I WOULD NOT buy anything else. Just my opinion, take it or leave it. My Savage 112 FVSS is awesome and I would not expect better performance from a rifle at ANY price. I AM A BELIEVER! Try for a Savage heavy built rifle.:p

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The price doesn’t sound too bad. Were I in the market, I wouldn’t bat an eye at $1039. I have 3 Senderos. All of mine are 26” barrels, stainless fluted and have the black H S Precision stocks with gray webbing with 1 being a 25-06. All are exceptionally accurate premium rifles and among the most attractive rifles ever built, even including the pimp daddy mirror polished jeweled bolt. Should mention mine are all J-bolts btw but I’ve never found a reason to be concerned over that.
I have several rifles in 25-06 but the only other factory heavy barrel I have in that caliber is a Ruger target model. It has a laminate wood stock and 26” matt stainless barrel. The Ruger was noticeably cheaper but not inferior. For bag work, the accuracy edge goes to Remington but for a walking around rifle, the Ruger does not feel as nose heavy and even though it’s a few ounces heavier, the balance point makes it carry lighter. Both have 10 twist barrels with 100gr being the heaviest bullets I have shot in them.
IF CZ, Sako/Tikka or Thompson Center has a heavy barrel in 25-06, I’d look at them as well.
Savage would be the bottom of the barrel pick for me. I have no use for cheap rifles and marketing gimmicks. A barrel without a precision cut shoulder will never be in perfect alignment with the action face and a lock nut merely locks it in crooked, that’s plain mechanical common sense. Floating bolt head for accuracy…bs….this allows the bolt head to attempt to square up to crooked barrel. They are cheaper though and they should be, you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Too bad Savages are so ugly... both my Rugers and my Remingtons in 25-06 shoot just as well as the Savage.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lumberjak and Mattsbox, rifle for rifle out of 100, you guys are crazy. I understand opinions but don't you read reviews? Also, how can anyone say that the current Savage rifles are ugly? They are as good looking as anything and perform better on the average. Look at the heavy LRPV, FTR, and such. Give me a break, dollar for dollar NO ONE can touch Savage. Everyone knows that. Out of the box Savage Tactical rifles do what everything else( plus a lot of money aftermarket! ) does.

·
Registered
436 Posts
To the poster. The Sendero is very handsome and will perform very well on the average. The 25-06 is a great round. If you must have it then buy it and enjoy. I have offered my opinions on what I have seen. That is a personal thing. Any other opinions should be taken into consideration as well. I believe what I believe and can say no more about that. Good luck in deciding and I hope you end up happy.;)

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i'll admit that the attention to detail with the savage rifles has gotten better but i've gotta side with matt and lumberjack... i've read too many reviews where a savage gave on average 1"+ groups but the reviewer raved about its accuracy anyway. too many of these gunwriters go on hunts provided by the manufacurers and too many of them parrot what they hear, it's always been that was in the gun industry!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well boys I don't write magazine articled, thank the lord as far as readers are concerned! You are blind or biased ( or don't read much ) if you counter my claim. Non disputable, the Savage rifles are usually well under an inch and I have yet to see Remington even come close ( on average ) for factory. It isn't really even debatable. I read the test article on the Remington VTR of whatever magazine and thought it would finally do great. Wrong! Crap as usual. They do articles about varmint rifles that don't even beat 1 inch!. NOT INTERESTED. 1/2 INCH and down or bust. They do not compete. I have an article here somewhere from one of the major shooting magazines where the SAVAGE 12 F-CLASS shot 10 different types of factory match ammo for an average of .400 or less. FACTORY ammo in a BOX rifle. THAT is an average, not a best. For 10 flavors. NO handloads or experiments. I need not argue further!:eek:

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Lumberjak and Mattsbox, rifle for rifle out of 100, you guys are crazy. I understand opinions but don't you read reviews? Also, how can anyone say that the current Savage rifles are ugly? They are as good looking as anything and perform better on the average. Look at the heavy LRPV, FTR, and such. Give me a break, dollar for dollar NO ONE can touch Savage. Everyone knows that. Out of the box Savage Tactical rifles do what everything else( plus a lot of money aftermarket! ) does.

And you are calling me biassed!!!

I ran into a smarty one time in a gun shop that told me the same line, just kept spewing it and would not stop barfing up garbage about Savages. He kept saying how he'd take his Savage against any rifle and outshoot it or pay $1000 cash for each shot. I told him I'd take the bet, I'd meet him at my range in half an hour. He shut up pretty quick and left.

I assure you, I'm not crazy. Its my money and I'll buy what I want. My Ruger 25/06 shoots tighter groups than your Savage 25/06. I don't give one tick what the "average" is or what somebody else's gun does.

A fancy or expensive gun doesn't make you a better shot, Beartracker will tell you that the most accurate gun he has ever shot was a bone stock Hawkeye in 358 Win, even though he has spent countless thousands of dollars chasing Weatherby's to make them accurate. He keeps building them because he likes them, but the bottom line is that the 358 out of the box, shot better than any other rifle he has ever shot.

·
Banned
991 Posts
A fancy or expensive gun doesn't make you a better shot, Beartracker will tell you that the most accurate gun he has ever shot was a bone stock Hawkeye in 358 Win, even though he has spent countless thousands of dollars chasing Weatherby's to make them accurate. He keeps building them because he likes them, but the bottom line is that the 358 out of the box, shot better than any other rifle he has ever shot.
THAT IS A BIG AMEN!!!!! WAS I EVER PLEASANTLY SURPRISE!!!!

RUGER M77 HAWKEYE 358WIN WITH VX-III 1.5-5X20MM

YOU DO THE MATH :)

I DID IT WITH THE 225GR SIERRA SBT USING AA2495BR

1 - 20 of 35 Posts