Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sequential serial numbers and gun value

6K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  ribbonstone2 
#1 ·
I have heard of antique and collector guns being valued higher as a set if a pair has sequential numbers. I don't know by how much. I wonder if a person had a couple of modern S&W magnum revolvers of identical model and of sequential serial numbers, if it would enhance the value of them as a pair? Anyone know?

#2 ·
I would say 'likely', if you have the right buyer - or several - interested. Some are looking for just one, others are looking for their collection and whatever additional adds to it, they're on board. I don't know by how much, either. Doubt it could be quantified very well, with likely few examples to gather data.

#4 ·
It would all depend on the prospective buyer. If it's important to the buyer, then yes, it could be a value raiser. It's not so much of a guarantee with regular production models, especially anything current or recent as some distributors will make the effort to get a consecutive numbered pair - sometimes for a small fee. It can certainly add value to older models that have more of a collector desirability to begin with.

#5 ·
Some do, some don't. We never got sequential serial numbered S&Ws in our shop unless we ordered them that way, but HKs on the other hand, they always came in with sequential serial numbered pieces. For Heckler & Koch, sequential serial numbers mean absolutely nothing in regards to increasing value. Anyone who wants a set can have them. We got in a dozen pistols on time, all of them sequential.
Other companies seem to go out of their way to make sure they never ship them that way, but not HK.

#7 · (Edited)
When it comes to serial #'s I would have to agree it depends on the buyer. I myself have a 1987 CZ82 where the serial # reads the same forward as backwards. Someone had to think this meant something as the pistol had to have been in someone's private collection for a long time. By all appearances the pistol had never been fired when I bought it. I didn't take notice to the serial # when I first bought it and I guess it meant nothing to the LGS because the pistol was only $200. It might not have been shot by the previous owner but it's seen more than few round down the pipe since I bought it back in OCT. I personally am not much of a collector so the serial# doesn't mean much to me. Any Nicks or marks you see on the pistol I put there as it rides in my saddle bags or on my hip quite often.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Airsoft gun
s

#9 ·
I'm sorry for jumping into this conversation. But I just acquired a mauser 98 chambered in 219 Donaldson wasp with serial number 5445. Any idea of value or info?
First, this is a handgun forum, not a rifle forum. Second, you are jacking this thread, another no-no on most forums. We see that you are new here, no harm in that and welcome. Please go either of the forums below and start your own thread:

#10 ·
Never know….it’s what the guy buying wants and is willing to pay for.

Had a collector that was kind of regional (not just local)...standing order for him to be contacted with anything that had a 007 serial number. Didn’t matter about a letter prefix, so long as the numbers were 007….did matter if there were numbers ahead of the 007.

He was collecting production serial numbers on firearms rather than the firearms themselves.; high value firearms or low value. He’d pay a heavy amount over market value, if he was interested, so we’d always keep him in mind.

Best guess is that he died somewhere close to 1986….a whole lot of 007’s showed up for sale near that date. They didn’t sell for what he paid for them.

---------
that happens even today, if you check out the auction houses. Suddenly a whole lot of Stevens single shots rifles are for sale, and even though we fell out of contact for years, I knew that Zim had died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.