Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone own one of these? http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php I am intrigued by them. Three shells could provide some significant defense in some situations. My house has a very narrow hallway. I have a full length 18.5" Remington and it is hard to maneuver in the house. However, it does have a light on it. My only concern using the shortie is the fact that both hands would be tied up and there is no way to put a light on it. Perhaps they are a gimmick. It appears they are legal due to the fact that they don't have stocks on them. At least that's what wikipedia says. If I actually decided to buy one, I would make double-sure they are legal. I'm sure my FFL would know.

Also, if the laws changed, I wonder if an owner of a Serbu Shortie would be "grandfathered" in, if the owner had purchased the Shortie prior to the laws being changed. These 16.5" 12 gauge guns are a very interesting way around the sawed off shotgun law. Most sawed off shotguns only have two shells, if I am not mistaken. I have never seen one. It seems to me like they would have to be a double barreled or over/under Stoeger-type of shotgun, unless they were modified significantly, such as the shorties. Of course, they could be modified with the stock on, but that would be VERY illegal.

So . . . anyone shot a shortie? What did you think of the experience?

·
Registered
416 Posts
look at the NFA of 1934 - then decide if you want to do anything more about the gun.

Personally, I have no earthly use for the thing. Best have a real good grip when you touch a round off.

DC

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look at the NFA of 1934 - then decide if you want to do anything more about the gun.

Are you saying it's illegal?

·
Registered
620 Posts
After the tax stamp you're looking at about $950 for one of the most impracticle/uncontrollable firearms around. Sounds like money well spent.......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
$$

Found a used one online for $595. I won't buy it if the thing is illegal. I'm trying to find that out. Kick won't bother me. I've seen men on Youtube firing them. I can handle the kick no problem. I'm not a small or even a medium sized human. I am enjoying the responses here. Folks sure don't have much love for the little shorties. As for the weapons being uncontrollable, they seem better than I expected. Here are some links:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovL9I2iQmM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk3h8Orp1MQ&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl14LtbBaQ4&feature=related

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
use

I am intrigued by them.
Me, too. But I won't buy one.
Why?
It has a very limited use. Home defense? Sure.....but I already have guns for that and the cost of a Serbu and the necessary tax stamp will buy me an awful lot of ammo or components that I can use in a practical way.
Those YouTube videos are interesting but, understand, that is all that you can do with the thing - it'll burn ammo and that's about all. For me, that gets old fast.
Impractical for carry. Impractical for hunting. Impractical for clay sports. Impractical for target shooting.
Good at going bang. Good at getting second glances at the range. Manuverable. HD - I suppose so. Worth the price? That is a choice for each of us.
Pete

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have one. It is completely legal. It is a class III weapon and requires a tax stamp from the feds as an AOW ($5). The dealer will get you through the application process. It took about 8 weeks for aproval when I bought mine 3 years ago.

It is not that bad to shoot. The grip on the front makes it very controllable. There is a lot of muzzle flash, but I like that. I shoot my own load of 2- .600" round balls that have been swaged oval. Made a cup and punch with a shoulder, drop the ball in and whack it with a hammer. The balls then stack into a standard shot cup and weigh 1 1/8 oz if I remember correctly. They stay within 10" at 20 yards on the target.

I find the gun very practical because I bought it to have fun. Every time I take it out all my buddies shoot every round of ammo I bring.

It would be more effective than a handgun at short distances, especially with buckshot. I shoot the load described, oo buck, slugs and anything else a 12 gauge will load.

If you want one, get it. Since when do guns have to be practical?

Don

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Technically not illegal under federal law, although likely illegal under some state/local laws, and an expensive hassle to get the federal approval to buy/possess one -- and once you have it, decide uyou don't like it, and want to sell it, you will be severely restricted as to who you can sell it to.

If you want a handier -- although much harder to shoot -- shotgun, I would suggest putting a pistol grip on your 18.5"-barreled shotgun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a pistol grip

I've already got a pistol grip and a light on it. It's a great shotgun. Just kinda intrigued with the shorties. Sounds like Bigfoot didn't have any problem with the $5 transfer fee on his. I wonder what state Bigfoot resides in. Maybe it's state by state, like you say. I certainly will not stray even a mm over the legal definition of the law.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's kind of intriguing to me - mostly impractical, but it might make a great car gun or perhaps a pack gun. Or just a way to blow the minds of other shooters at the range! Can't argue with the firepower in a compact package.

·
Registered
977 Posts
FWIW: In regards to the ad, some states concealed carried is limited to .50 or under.

Looks like the modern version of a blunderbuss. If you have a couple of pirates coming down a long narrow hallway for your gold, I imagine something such a 3" T or BB shot shell might provide a wide pattern.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The process is not a hassle. Fingerprints, 3 photos, some paperwork and a wait. I am in Indiana which is very gun friendly. The local LEO must sign off on it, again not a problem for most. You must be able to pass the background check, if you have a CCW you should be fine.

Don't let the paperwork discourage you.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts