Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nubie here trying to figure out the serial number on my A5 The receiver has 8V 6472, the barrel has 6274. I have a hard time believing they aren't original to each other. Think they just reversed the 2 and 4? Also, I know this is a low number so no records of date? Also, as stated on Brownings website, it doesn't have "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH-U.S.A. stamped on it. Confused please help. Also, THANK YOU in advance for your help!

·
Registered
930 Posts
The prefix 8V indicates your gun is a 1968 Magnum 12 gauge.

The serial number on the barrel does not have to "match" the receiver.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The prefix 8V indicates your gun is a 1968 Magnum 12 gauge.

The serial number on the barrel does not have to "match" the receiver.

While the bbl SN does not have to match, to be functional, the different SN would usually indicate the bbl wasn't issued with the receiver (aka: a replacement).

Since it's a magnum gun, is the bbl so marked with the magnum chambering stamp ?

·
Registered
930 Posts
The barrel stamp is located on the left side near the chamber end.

By the time your gun was made Browning had long stopped matching barrel and receiver serial numbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Browning serial number help

The barrel has "special steal 12 gauge shells 3" , F074 in 2 places , PV with a couple different hallmarks?
Also has 1 kg and 1750 and made in Belgium. Any of these help? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

FWIW, '12 gauge shells 3" ' indicates it's a magnum barrel, just like the receiver.

I'm curious why, when bbl's stopped being SN'd to a particular receiver, was what appears to be SN's still applied to barrels ?

Maybe as an assembly number ? IDK......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serial number match

Thanks for your input. The numbers seem awfully close as the only difference is the 2 and the 4 are switched. You can see it was done by hand. Is is possible guy just got it wrong? Or is it just coincidence they are close. So is there any other way to tell if they have been together the whole time? Thanks

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The numbers seem awfully close as the only difference is the 2 and the 4 are switched. You can see it was done by hand. Is is possible guy just got it wrong?

Entirely possible - I had a Japanese Browning Auto-22 that has the dating part of it's SN transposed.

That one was fairly easy to resolve, since one of the dates was impossible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts