Shooters Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm seriously considering going to school to be a gunsmith (Sonora Desert Institute is my #1 consideration). I'm 32 and a welder by trade but I love guns, tinkering, repairing and improving upon things. I recently discovered I'm an ammosexual. Even if it isn't a full time career I'd consider part time.
For you old timers, considering the current political climate regarding guns and firearms, what advice do you have? Is it worth it?
Hi I just finished the SDI curriculum in May 2021 using my 9/11 GI Bill. I thought it was good basic information. Are you coming out of the program as a full fledged gunsmith, no. It is a great "base line" to start with, but to be honest you should have some machining experience too. If I were going to recommend a good paying vocation and college wasn't for you, go to scool to be a plumber or electrician. They make way more money than an average gunsmith will ever see. Sure you have to apprentice for a while as a plumber or electrician, you would have to with being a gunsmith anyway. You can still be a gun nut as an electrician, only difference is you can support yourself and your family as an electrician, not as a gunsmith.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts