Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently we are all caucasian, heterosexual, rednecks. Hmmm I got two out of three down. I can't believe some of the c**p that gets published. Suddenly everyone is an expert.

Sex, Hunting, and Rednecks
by Thomas McIntyre

Why Professor Luke thinks you're a creep.

We know they’re crazy. Radical antihunters and animal rights activists are so crazy they think hoof-and-mouth disease is a swell idea because, they say, it only causes harm to ranchers. They railed against the Navy’s enlisting dolphins to search for mines in the Persian Gulf (in part so ships carrying refugee supplies could make port), complaining, as a PETA member said, that the Navy was “putting innocent animals in danger in shark-infested...waters.” Listen: These are dolphins; they grew up in shark-infested waters. And how come they’re “innocent” and sharks aren’t? Does no one speak for the hammerheads?

In Santa Cruz, that northern California bastion of rational thought, somebody recently spray-painted the words animal cruelty and tortuers [sic] on posters announcing the “Ducky Derby,” an annual charity event in which bets are placed on ducks that are then heartlessly forced to race down a custom watercourse. The ducks are rubber.

When it comes to hunting (and increasingly, fishing), these people accelerate from garden-variety “Call me Napoleon” nuts to “Behold—I am Zeus” megalomania. And you never entirely appreciate that fact until they start coming after you, personally.

Very Big Words
This was brought home to me after reading a most earnest essay entitled “Violent Love: Hunting, Heterosexuality, and the Erotics of Men’s Predation” (search for “Violent Love” at www.findarticles.com). It originally appeared in Feminist Studies (Fall 1998), a thrice-yearly publication of the University of Maryland that is undoubtedly read by dozens of people in Birkenstocks. The author was one Brian Luke, at the time an assistant professor of philosophy at the University of Dayton, where he researched the “major institutions of animal exploitation in terms of male dominance.” (Oh, how I wish this were a joke.)

The task Assistant Professor Luke set himself was to demonstrate the way in which “hunting by North American white men is structured and experienced as a sexual activity.” The “erotic nature of hunting,” in his parlance, makes it similar to the “predatory heterosexuality prominent in Western patriarchal society.” He goes on, of course, to use a bunch more big words than that.

According to Luke, hunting is an essentially romantic undertaking, meaning it is about “power/domination” over a “love object,” and not in a good way. And don’t try to fool anybody by classifying sex or hunting as natural acts, because as Luke knows, “The naturalization of sex is a reactionary position often promoted specifically to excuse…” Well, the short version is that we enjoy hunting and/or sex mainly because we get to kill animals or slap chicks around.

The Eroticization of Hunting
You might think that this would make us perverts, but far from it. We’re just “normal men”—not that there isn’t “something seriously wrong with normal [befuddled italics mine] manhood in this culture.” And while the men Luke is talking about are Caucasian heterosexuals, that definition can somehow expand to include anyone who hunts, whether nonwhite, female, gay, or any combination of the above. Apparently, hunting makes slobbering rednecks of us all.

When I began reading this essay, I was mildly amused to see the names of several of my friends and colleagues in the hunting-writing business being taken to task. Then I discovered some comments about my own writings, and I understood the true gravity of the essay. It appears that I explicitly approve of “rapism.” I have yet to locate this word in a dictionary, but something tells me that it’s not a valentine. It seems to be the job of marginal academics these days to find much of which to disapprove, while finding very little of which to approve. Based on his essay, Luke (and this is not to suggest that he is anything other than a mainstream scholar) finds proof of hunting’s “eroticization” through the use in hunting articles of lurid words like craving, exciting, thrill, release, fever, and the always provocative I felt good (oddly, he manages to completely overlook caliber and bore); utilizes obscure quotes to prove hunting’s “phallocentric sexuality”; and holds the belief that a crocodile has a “pelt.”

More astonishingly, he approves of the following as a comprehensible English sentence: “The overt violence of hunting coupled with its erotic stimulation make its imagery a useful resource for promulgating a predational sexuality between women and men.” Well, ****, that goes without saying.

Why Can’t We All Just Be Neuter?
What he may approve of most, though, is a desire to deny carnality in all its forms. It would be ideal, he seems to say, if we were born without lusty human natures, neither female nor male, just blank slates ready to be chalked on by some politically correct culture in which none of us would ever be hunters, or probably lovers, either.

Regrettably, Luke may have in fact crippled his own cause with his essay. Another writer he got in his sights, a professor emeritus, no less, is an expert on sheep and deer and an avid hunter, as well. I told him about “Violent Love,” and after he read it his only comment was “If I had known hunting was sexual, I would have done it more often.”

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Boy, am I screwed up, I always went to the deer camp to get away from the wife.... now I know better!

Yes, people that write this sort of drivel are their own worst enemy, that's the only saving grace.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am saddened every time I read this BS.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am certainly no intellectual but does it not seem that the idea here is for us (males) to be more like females while females become the more dominant sort in these areas.

Role reversal is acceptable for the sake of fairness. We have advanced in some ways since the 1800s but at what cost. We know less about who we are than or parents and our children have even more questions.

Life is simple folks. There is nothing new under the sun. God, family, country.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I could have gone all day without reading about this oral manure Professor Luke is regurgetating.

I now officially have Excedrin headache 454. :mad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
J Miller

The recognized relief is to expend 50 to 100 rounds of 454 diameter "aspirin" downrange.:D

·
Banned
87 Posts
I can only go back in my research to Cane and Able. One was a gardener and one was a hunter. God chose the hunter for the sacrifice that he gave. Enough said. Well thats not true I have more. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.Now I'm done. Not quite yet. If I have offended anyone, tough, take it up with God, He started it.
Bob.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Now I understand my problem.
Whenever I get the opportunity to have sex I begin to shake and sweat.
IT'S BUCK FEVER!!!
Come to think of it, I'm about as successful with sex as I am with deer.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is there a special diameter Ritalin. I was thinking .308

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have no problem with "Role Reversal" - all that means is that I have plenty more time to hunt and fish!!!! :D :cool: :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
And if your headache isn't big enough, keep in mind most public universities have a "women's studies" department teaching this sort of drivel as being factual -- at taxpayer expense. They are generally populated by feminist types who *hate* men and are thoroughly screwed up human beings.
Mark

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See thats why I am headed to a private college.

·
Registered
252 Posts
mattsbox99 said:
See thats why I am headed to a private college.
Hate to break this to you but some of them are even worse. Best of luck to you.
Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
Speaking of "higher education" this drivel that "Professor" Luke is spouting forth is giving me terrible flashbacks of my days at Western Michigan University. Studying Criminal Justice there was an excercise in this kind of mindless, made up "science."

No surprise that this kind of junk was dreamed up by somebody from the Philosophy Dept; they're worse than the sociologists! Pretty much their entire "science" involves sitting around and debating whether or not we all exist or are we just a figment of each others imagination.

As an example, I took one Philosophy class at WMU. After being bored out of my mind with this meaningless slop for weeks our final exam came around. It was one question and that one question was one word: "WHY?" The only thought that registered in my head at that point was: "BECAUSE!" I wrote down BECAUSE! in my exam booklet and turned it in; then I walked out in total disgust realizing that I'd wasted hundreds of dollars in tuition and a lot of time on a course that had taught me absolutely ZERO useful information. The following week I went to check the grade postings and was astonished to see that I had gotten a "B" on the final exam. Another student was checking his grade and found that he had received an "A." I asked him what his answer had been and he stated that when he saw the question of "WHY!" he had gotten mad (because he'd been up all night studying) and wrote down "WHY NOT!" He said that he turned in the test booklet and left the room in disgust.

Universities are paying these "educators" handsomely for this kind of BS.

And we wonder these days why the kids who graduate college are more screwed up than those who don't get the "benefit" of "higher" education.

Go figure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HHHHMMMM, this can't be true. In sex and hunting I have 2 totally different philosophies. In 1(I won't say which :D ) I have the philosophy that "Bigger is Better". In the other I have the philosophy that it doesn't matter how big it is, its how effective you are with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They way I see it, if these Einstein Activists and Educators would pool thier resources together to preventing drugs from getting to our children, finding job resources for the welfare recipients, and gripe daily to the government for shreading us out of our hard earned money for taxes, we would have an awsome team fighting for issues to benefit all people of the Nation. That's the way I see it!

·
Banned
2 Posts
Sex, Hunting and Redneck

mcassill said:
And if your headache isn't big enough, keep in mind most public universities have a "women's studies" department teaching this sort of drivel as being factual -- at taxpayer expense. They are generally populated by feminist types who *hate* men and are thoroughly screwed up human beings.
Mark
Probably true but just remember that not all of us are this way. There are some of us who go hunting to get away from our boyfriends or husbands. :D

·
Banned
97 Posts
what if some of us aren't rednecks...what if some of us (like me for example) are minorities

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
My wife had killed deer before I did... so 'nuf said!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.