Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Sorry to hear that Shawn, hope your well, and getting better every day! God Bless! :)

·
Banned
61 Posts
Shawn, hoping you get well soon and at least the Christmas music is off the radio! And if your mother in law is there maybe there is some light work you can do at the office :)

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Thank you all for your well-wishes. I am back home now and on the road to recovery.

The accident happened to me on Christmas day; I've seen a few news reports that had pics of the destroyed gun. I pulled up on a pheasant for the first shot of the day and the Rem Mod 11 blew up. Barrel only blew up, not the magazine. The 2 rounds in the (detached) magazine were still there, although crushed from the blast. But that was plenty as I'm minus my left hand now. First 4"-6" of the barrel ahead of the action is missing and thinking that's what destroyed the hand. The gun worked fine the previous day, with factory ammo. Fortunately, only my left hand rec'd damage, and no one else around me, or my dogs.

I was shooting some reloads from 20-25 years ago that were trap-level loads. Almost didn't take them as I rememered them as a bit light and possibly would not cycle the action. So, don't know if there was a barrel obstruction, or bad reload.

I'll try to check in periodically, although not too much in the coming weeks, especially since my typing is quite slow now! I'm doing fine and will be adjusting to doing things differently.

Dang....that was one of my favorite shotguns....

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
You'll have to get a product called "Dragon Naturally Speaking" it converts your voice into text so you can keep posting :D.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You'll have to get a product called "Dragon Naturally Speaking" it converts your voice into text so you can keep posting :D.

Well I hope it works better for him than me. Im too southern for it to understand...LOL

Shawn, get well soon buddy !

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Glad you're home again, Shawn. Sorry to hear of the accident. Ironically, a friend at work was telling me this week that someone he knows had recently had a shotgun blow apart on him.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
shawn you said you lost your hand ..im hopeing you meant for now until it heals..
either way you alive an thats the most important thing.. slim.
ps take it easy on that percocet.. its a two edged sword.grin

·
Banned
434 Posts
Shawn

Sorry to hear about the accident but I'm glad to see you have maintained your sense of humor in what must be a difficult time. Feel better soon...

Kanuck

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Thx again, all.

slim, unfortunately the hand is gone indeed; everything fwd of the wrist has been removed. I'm doing fine, but the hand was not repairable. What was left of any fingers/thumb/palm was so mangled that bone/nerve/skin/tissue was not sufficient to do any reconstruct. Will be looking at prosthesis options.

I was very lucky that damage was limited to just my one hand.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Whoa Shawn!!! I just caught this thread (I have been known not to pay attention)...This is a bad deal, and I am sorry it had to happen to you! Buck up there, get healed, and as much as you love to shoot and hunt, I know you will find a way to get out there again!!! Try and keep us posted on your recovery as much as possible! FT

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Wow...sorry to hear of this. I guess better a hand then your eyes or worse...hopefully you'll be up and back at it in no time.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Shawn, I'm truly sorry to hear of this tragic accident and hope you recover soon! Looking at the photos of the gun, I guess we all are grateful the injuries, as bad as they are, were not worst! My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Shawn. I've been off the net for the last week, (Too sick to get on line.) and this is the first I heard of the accident. My prayers are with you for a quick recovery. I also put your on our Church Prayer List for a speedy recovery. God Bless and take care.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Shawn,

I don't know you except from the content of your posts, but they have indicated to me that this will be a minor set-back for you. You will persevere because your character will not let you do anything else. I will be interested in the progress of your recovery.

Jeff

·
Banned
126 Posts
It can happen to anyone. Be carefull, be VERY careful when reloading! If you at all expect something is wrong with a relaod, DO NOT USE IT! Second guessing just does not cut it.

I have had my own personal experience. I accidently double loaded a .44 mag once. Thankfully, I had a Ruger which is made of very strong steel, otherwise I may have wound up like Shawn. I now have a Dillon progressive reloader which takes away the possibilities of a mis-hap, at least for me.

Reloading requires one's full attention!

I hope you have a complete recovery, Shawn. God bless.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Shawn , I've been working over in ND for the last week and got home to see this tragic news . My families prayers are with you . God speed and a swift recovery.

Grizz

21 - 40 of 71 Posts