Shooters Forum banner

Shawn injured?

10K views 70 replies 50 participants last post by  kdub 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Shawn

I hope and pray that you have a speedy recovery. And you get the full use of your hand back. Now on a more serous note not blaming Shawn in any way for his accident. This is why it is so important to be very careful when reloading your own shells one little mistake can couse bad thing to happen. I saw a man once blow up a colt python and the man beside him got severe head injury and spent a good while in the hospital. When I reload I am in the room by my self the wife and kid will not open the door till I come out they leave me alone so I can give my reloading my full attention with NO interruption. and follow all safety rules Forest Punch

#8 ·
Man, Shawn, just got in from hunting, and I feel sick to my stomach. You had posted that you were going to enjoy some bird hunting this season.
I feel terrible for you, and hope you have a quick recovery.

#13 ·
Hey Shawn, hope everything is going to be ok.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

RJ

#16 ·
Shawn, my prayers are with you. May GOD grant you a speedy recovery! Sorry about your injury, and the loss of your gun, but the important thing is you are still with us.
Remember, when thrown from the horse it's best to get right back on again! Hope you still can enjoy your guns and hunting again in the near future.
Take care,
Terry

#17 ·
The news blurp stated his left hand, which would have been the one exposed to the failure if being right handed.

Let's all hope Shawn the best and a speedy recovery. We miss him and his posts.

#19 ·
As are we all!

#20 ·
Com'on Shawn, we all miss you and are worried about your condition. Nah, you are in His hands and all is well.
God bless and Godspeed,
Greg

#21 ·
Sorry to hear that Shawn, hope your well, and getting better every day! God Bless! :)

#24 ·
Thank you all for your well-wishes. I am back home now and on the road to recovery.

The accident happened to me on Christmas day; I've seen a few news reports that had pics of the destroyed gun. I pulled up on a pheasant for the first shot of the day and the Rem Mod 11 blew up. Barrel only blew up, not the magazine. The 2 rounds in the (detached) magazine were still there, although crushed from the blast. But that was plenty as I'm minus my left hand now. First 4"-6" of the barrel ahead of the action is missing and thinking that's what destroyed the hand. The gun worked fine the previous day, with factory ammo. Fortunately, only my left hand rec'd damage, and no one else around me, or my dogs.

I was shooting some reloads from 20-25 years ago that were trap-level loads. Almost didn't take them as I rememered them as a bit light and possibly would not cycle the action. So, don't know if there was a barrel obstruction, or bad reload.

I'll try to check in periodically, although not too much in the coming weeks, especially since my typing is quite slow now! I'm doing fine and will be adjusting to doing things differently.

Dang....that was one of my favorite shotguns....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.