Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how long can loaded lapping loads be stored?
I have to drive several miles to shoot them and was wondering if the grease will afect the powder in any way?
I also, would like to load approximately 20 loads at a time, but due to my schedule I am not certain if all the loads can be shot durring one trip to the range.(cleaning, inspection and slugging)

If anybody has any information please let me know.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Marty,

The grease in the lapping compound most assurredly will deactivate powder when there is exposure to the powder/primer.

A couple of solutions is to make sure that your loaded lapping rounds remain in an upright position after assembly, and if you are anticipating a prolonged period between the time of loading and firing, try inserting a very small piece of wax paper folded over once or twice to slightly over case diameter of your cartridge, then inserting it directly over the powder charge to protect from possible contamination from the lapping compound.  It will act as a barrier, and yet won't leave any unwanted residue in your barrel when firing.  Even with this inserted in the load, make sure that you keep those lapping loads in an upright position during storage and transit for best reliability.

Let us know how you progress on the project!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall,

Last night I loaded my lapping loads and am planning to shoot them this afternoon.  I did place some poly batting in the cases and I thought that should work this time.  

Another question, in the BTB tech manual you said that while coating the lapping bullets they should become nearly black.  I could only get the top and bottom edges of the driving bands to become black with the compound.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks again
Marty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Marty,

The front driving band of the bullet, the one that is typically ahead of the crimping groove, when wiped lightly with a paper towel, should be a dark grey to charcoal color with the embedded lapping compound.  If not, roll, roll, roll your bullet!  Often times I spend at least three to five minutes per bullet rolling them between the lap plates.   Be careful when doing so however, because if you apply too much pressure on the top plate while rolling the soft lapping bullet you can actually crush it to be undersize while rolling it!  Sounds a little incredible, but is especially true with the sub-thrity-five caliber bullets.

Filching on the time spent rolling the grit into the lapping bullets will only equate in the necessity of a larger number of lapping loads being needed to complete the job!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Marshall,

I have been getting the bullets to the dark grey color, but I thought since I wasn't getting the near jet black color that I was doing something wrong.  

Tip.. I used an old Stanley #5 woodworking Hand plane and glass instead of the steel plates.  Works fine but you are very right about making the bullets smaller in diameter by using to much presure.

Just to let you know, Shot 11 lapping loads last week and slugged the barrel,  I can already tell they are cutting out the constrictions in the barrel.  When slugging, the presure needed to push the slug through the barrell was alot more even.

Thanks again.
Marty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Good Idea on the old hand-plane!  I'll bet it's much more comfortable to use than a steel plate!

Too, with the handle on the plane, I would imagine that one would have to be much more careful about the downward pressure used on the lapping bullets in regard to rolling them undersize.

Great idea!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, But to keep the plane from tipping I placed a wooden block approximately the same diameter as the bullet on the glass for the front of the plane to slide on.

Marty Brown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts