Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long can loaded lapping loads be stored?
I have to drive several miles to shoot them and was wondering if the grease will afect the powder in any way?
I also, would like to load approximately 20 loads at a time, but due to my schedule I am not certain if all the loads can be shot durring one trip to the range.(cleaning, inspection and slugging)

If anybody has any information please let me know.

Thanks,
Marty

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marshall,

Last night I loaded my lapping loads and am planning to shoot them this afternoon.  I did place some poly batting in the cases and I thought that should work this time.  

Another question, in the BTB tech manual you said that while coating the lapping bullets they should become nearly black.  I could only get the top and bottom edges of the driving bands to become black with the compound.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks again
Marty

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Marshall,

I have been getting the bullets to the dark grey color, but I thought since I wasn't getting the near jet black color that I was doing something wrong.  

Tip.. I used an old Stanley #5 woodworking Hand plane and glass instead of the steel plates.  Works fine but you are very right about making the bullets smaller in diameter by using to much presure.

Just to let you know, Shot 11 lapping loads last week and slugged the barrel,  I can already tell they are cutting out the constrictions in the barrel.  When slugging, the presure needed to push the slug through the barrell was alot more even.

Thanks again.
Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.