Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting back into relaoding and I am finding that all of the new shell holders have a 1/4" hole in the center instead of the 5/16" they use to have. I am using a Bonanza/Forster press and the primer pocket has to go through the hole in the middle of the shell holder. I am thinking of trying to drill out one of the new ones and see if that works. Anyone else haveing this problem??/

Steve

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
I had to drill out a Lee set, once. They are hard as the dickens. Carbide bit, drill press, and go slow. If you have several bits go up in the smallest increments you can.

Good luck..

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Nope. Never had that problem or heard of it. Guess I would drill from both sides(to avoid burrs) if I was going to.

I see no trouble making the hole bigger. Center is pre-determined by the maker.

Cheezywan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
There were no burrs, believe me! The chips coming off were dust, and the hole on the inside looked like a mirror.......

I guess perhaps it may be possible to anneal them a bit in the oven? Say 425 - 450 for half an hour or so? Haven't tried that so take it for what it's worth.... try on a spare, first.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Forster upgraded the priming setup on the co-ax press years ago. They had conversion kits; you might want to give them a call. No shell holders needed (it has an adjustable shell holder for priming.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do know that. The conversion kit is around $40 bucks. I have all of the shell holders I need except for 22 hornet. I am use to the way I prime with the press.

You know what they say about old dogs. It is more a matter of principal and making something work for me that change has messed up again.

I was able to drill the new style shell holder out and it is functioning just fine.

Thanks to all that replyed

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts