Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been quite happy with my Crosman F4 177cal but yesterday the wife sent me up to the attic to look for some of our old photo albums. in my search for them I came across my old... And i do mean old pellet rifles a Sheridan Blue Streak, and suddenly I was back to being that 17yr old that bought the gun home from K-Mart. I know at the time this pump pellet gun was the cats a&& when it came to accuracy & power. So heres my question, I know there no longer made and I'm not a smith so can seals and parts be replaced? If so can anyone tell me where I'd find them? Or should I just leave well enough alone and put it in our summer rummage sale. Idon't want to spend a arm and a leg trying to restore it, but if I can do it for less than 100.00 I would. I know it used 20cal pellets I don't have any (maybe I do but the attic is full of things) are the current 20cal pellets okay to use in the old girl?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
Look up Mac 1 Air Gun. I forget the exact URL, but that should get you close.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Try www.airgunsmith.com. They are supposed to have some rebuild kits for around $60.00. Back when I was a kid, Sheridan Pellet Guns were made in Racine, WI, on Sheridan Road. My buddy and I went right to the factory and bought "blems" that had some cosmetic flaws, but otherwise shot just fine. We even bought our 5mm pellets at the factory store. If we broke anything on those pellet rifles, we just dropped 'em off at the factory and in a day or two they were back to running again. We sure took out a lot of pigeons on the train trestle that went over the Root River in Racine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mac1 is the top place to go. He has a steroid package for the Sheridans, which can upgrade your gun to darn near .22 short powerlevels. If you are just satisfied with an OEM rebuild, he can do that also.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I still have mine from when I was a kid. I was down to about a hand full of 5 mm pellets and ran across a full box at a gun show a couple of yrs back. Can take out sage rats and pests still. I've heard the same thing about Mac1 also. Don't know if it's true or not but was told they can be changed over to shoot 22 cal pellets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys I think the Blue Streak is gonna be just fine, today I gave it a once over oiled all the areas that call for it and then cocked and put in 3 pumps without a pellet in the chamber yhen listened carefully for any air leaks... None that I could hear, fired it and all was fine. I'm gonna order some pellets and then I'll know for sure, any recomendations on pellets on Amazon I see a Benjamin 14.3gr pellet (I thik the 14.3 was what I used way back then), I also found a H&N 11.4 anybody try those H&N do they work okay for hunting small critters and are they accurate? To me the Benjamin's look a lot like the Sheridan pellets from 50yrs ago but maybe you guys know better what really works best... If you do don't keep it to yourself...Thanks

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
My parents bought me a Sheridan Blue Streak pellet rifle for my 15th birthday, a long-long time ago. I bagged my very first Squirrel & Rabbit with it, nice rifle to begin hunting with. (y) :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a great day I told the wife I wish I had a few pellets to try the Blue Streak, She went up to the attic and 5min. later she came back with a yellow box. Inside the box 500 20 cal pellets, WhooHoo!! Took the gun outside and loaded it up and yes with 5 pumps I shot it for the first time in 40yrs... It worked great, I'm so happy now I wish I had a chrony to see just what its doing fps wise. But I can use the old tried and true method we used as kids if it goes through both sides of a tin can I will be delighted!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hungry hollow I checked and WOW!! They are not close to cheap, so does anyone have a brand of 20cal pellets they use? I don't want to use those gold coated pellets LOL, oh I decided to put a dab of white nail polish on my front sight to help these old eyes get on target.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try www.airgunsmith.com. They are supposed to have some rebuild kits for around $60.00. Back when I was a kid, Sheridan Pellet Guns were made in Racine, WI, on Sheridan Road. My buddy and I went right to the factory and bought "blems" that had some cosmetic flaws, but otherwise shot just fine. We even bought our 5mm pellets at the factory store. If we broke anything on those pellet rifles, we just dropped 'em off at the factory and in a day or two they were back to running again. We sure took out a lot of pigeons on the train trestle that went over the Root River in Racine.
Really intrested in airgun repair so I followed the link above. Not so good. Appears the owner has been & continues to be ill. 🤧

Aw dog droppings! I wish him/her all the best! They are trying to sell so if anyone is intrested please step up. Here is a screen shot of the web page.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
They are quite collect able now. Don't sell it to cheap. I shoot mine almost every day.
I sold 4 Sheridans late last summer when the prices were outrageous on ebay, beat up blue streaks were going for 3-400.00
I sold a silver streak that was pretty close to NIB for 940.00 That's not a typo, almost a grand for a pellet gun that sold for 109.00 in 1982 that they made millions of and really weren't that great especially by todays standards.
Also sold a bunch of 5mm pellets, most went for 75.00 a box, I got 15.00 for EMPTY boxes, proof people are crazy.
For whatever reason prices have come way back down except on pellets.
I had the original box, manual, receipt and hang tags. The seals had given up so I had a local airgun shop reseal it prior to putting it on ebay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Sharidan 20 cal. bout 30 years old . Had a older one , but some a**hole stole it
I just replaced the o-rings , Still works great, Kills ground squills dead

They still make them last I looked a couple years ago

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Sheridan has been gone quite a while, I believe the "C" models which were the last series true to the original design were discontinued in the early 90's. The company was bought by Benjamin then by Crosman later on.
Benjamin still sells a pneumatic gun that is a descendant of the original Sheridan blue and silver streak guns. It's plastic and....ugly hence the collectability and popularity of the old guns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That sounds like a familiar story! I rediscovered mine, vintage 1973, a couple weeks ago after 45 years of storage. With components being scarce, I'd been thinking of an airgun for more trigger time without going to the range. Just today I was looking at the MAC 1 site and thinking about a Steroid rebuild or just replacing seals and such myself. I shot the devil out of that thing as a kid and the seals finally got tired. I remember that, during our long dove season, I'd put out 3 dove decoys along a branch in a fencerow between feeding areas and hide 10 yds away with my dove call. 2 decoys were together, 1 by itself. When a dove would land beside the single decoy, I'd make meat. It was OK on stalked cottontails but I never had much luck with it on squirrels and preferred my .22 Savage M/24. As It got tired and I moved on to bigger things, it was moved further and further back in the rack. I had a lot of fun with that Blue Streak and need to put it back in service. Unfortunately, I didn't find a yellow box of pellets...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Inherited a '61 blue streak from my dad some years ago, cleaned it up and shot it a bit. Not a bad air rifle and pumpers can develop a fair amount of power. Use the Google to find parts, manuals, etc. Crosman has some data online for the 'C' series and later guns. And yes, the current crop of 20 cal pellets is fine in your old Sheridan, your old box / tin of pellets may even be 'collectable'. You may also want to look at some of the dedicated airgun sites such as 'Gateway to Airguns'. Like here, nice helpful people.
Good Luck
:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unkl Chuck, The gun though old shoots great and with the iron sights it very accurate, because of its age I can't put the scope mounts on that stay put. I really like to use it and the memories it brings back you just can't put a price tag on... Yeah it's old but it works just as well know as it did back then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a couple of tidbits: Do not pump it more than 8 strokes and when you put it away, leave one pump of air in it. These are instructions from the manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts