Shooters Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I would make one suggestion for change. Ditch the military style steel butt plate and get the shotgun stock and steel butt plate. That .50-90 is going to have some fairly stout recoil off the bench and you will be able to shoot it better and longer (in more comfort) with the shotgun plate. And to develop a good load for it will take some bench time. No need to destroy your shoulder. The 30 inch barrel is a good choice and having the military ladder sight is too. Depending on what you are hunting, it is probably a much better choice than the tang sight but you will want it for shooting for fun.

Good luck on your deployment and thank you for your service.

I went with a shotgun style, they call it a Traditional Steel Shotgun, and on the order form they leave off the "shotgun".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good move. I am sure you will enjoy shooting it a lot more with the shotgun plate. I have a friend who has two BPCR with crescent butt plates, in which he shoots smokeless loads. He says it does not hurt and he shoots weekly too; but, I don't believe him!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Lots of good comments and information out there and most has to do with experience. One thing you can't teach is experience so I'm all ears when it comes to this stuff. Having said that I'll add my two cents. I currently own 4 Sharps rifles, 3 carbines and one rifle. The carbines are: Garrett Arms 1874 in .50-70, Garrett Arms conversion model in .45-70 and an original 63 conversion to .50-70. All of these have 22 inch bbls. My fourth is a Pedersoli Billy Dixon with a 32 inch heavy bbl in .45-70. I used to own a Pedersoli business rifle with a 26 inch bbl (that I wish I still had) also in .45-70. With original load velocities anything over 24 inches give little or no gain but there is a slight advantage in sight radius. When hunting I almost always grab the carbines because of the shortness. That being said, the best of both worlds it I could have one made would be with a 26 inch bbl (half round/Half octagon) for weight. I would order .45-90 if I was only going to use black powder. With smokeless powder, the longer case is a waste as you can't fill it anyway. Most of the time you can't even fill the .45-70 case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good move. I am sure you will enjoy shooting it a lot more with the shotgun plate. I have a friend who has two BPCR with crescent butt plates, in which he shoots smokeless loads. He says it does not hurt and he shoots weekly too; but, I don't believe him!!
I've got numerous crescent and even Swiss buttplates on old single shot rifles. If you shoot them off the shoulder they can hurt if the point hits wrong. But I shoot them off my upper arm and they're very comfortable.
Even my original Rigby Ballard in .40-70 Ballard is comfortable to shoot with the Farrow style buttplate.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Reviving this post of mine.
I got word a few weeks ago, just before Thanksgiving, that my Rifle was complete!
They told me that it has been complete for 1 full year now (its been 3 years since I put it on order), they didn't tell me it was done because they figured I would contact them when I was home again. They were getting worried about me because I hadn't sent them an email in a long time asking about it, but they are happy to hold onto it until I am able to get home again. With this COVID nonsense I haven't been home since June 2019, I hope to get home sometime in '21.
I asked for some pics but I haven't heard anything back on them yet. If I get some pics from them I will post them here.

Reactions: roverboy

·
Banned
531 Posts
Thank you for your service, Josh, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

Reactions: alaska682

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm home from Afghanistan and I have been able to get my Shiloh Sharps delivered after 3.5 years of waiting.

1874 MONTANA ROUGHRIDER
Options:
CALIBER: 50-90ST
BARREL LENGTH: 30"
BARREL WEIGHT: HVY.OCT
WOOD UPGRADES: SEMI-FANCY
WOOD FINISHES: AA - Standard
METAL FINISHES: STANDARD COLOR CASED
BUTTPLATE: TRADITIONAL STEEL
BRASS ESCUTCHEONS: BRASS
CUSTOM BEDDING: CUSTOM BED
SLING SWIVELS: SWIVELS
FOREARM TIPS: PEWTER TIP
HARTFORD COLLAR: HARTFORD COLLAR
REAR BARREL SIGHT: (military ladder sight plus a midrange vernier tang sight.)
FRONT SIGHT: CUSTOMER PROVIDE (flip front sight between blade and pin)

It is awesome!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts