Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where nor how to post this, but I have a couple of boxes of old factory ammo that is or at least should be collectable. My question is: what is the best way to ship a box of loaded shells without the shipping cost being greater than the value of the shells???? I assume the Post Office will not accept them. right?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
My PO always has, but I just assume 'flat rate' means what it says.

Reactions: Jack

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think you're stuck with surface express Co.'s. The Lewiston, USPS, has a big sign saying not to ship anything that can go boom. And any live ammo can cook off in a wreck which then catches fire.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

FWIW, US Post Office regulations (which have the force of Federal Law) specifically prohibit the mailing of loaded ammunition:

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

Loaded ammo, ergo, would needs be shipped (as opposed to mailed) via UPS/FEDEX/etc, and the outside of the parcel also has to be labelled "ORM-D" (also under Federal Law).

The shipping costs are why I only sell ammo FTF, whether local or (if the ammo's collectible) at a funshow.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I ship ammo through UPS and it's not overly expensive. You may need to mark the box with ORM-D, but their regs do change some. I have found that most (all?) UPS store front places will not accept guns or ammunition for shipment, so I go to the local UPS depot and ship them from there.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,880 Posts
I have to go to a main shipping terminal of UPS to mail loaded ammo to the daughter and grandson. No problem as long as the box is labeled with "ORMD" and "Cartridges - Small Arms" on the outside in several places. Don't think the cost is anymore than regular packages.

Knowing where you live, Jack - this may be a real problem for you to find a shipping terminal in your area.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
174 Posts
This is the ORMD label.

Attachments

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
174 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It's been a couple years since since the OP asked. Hopefully the cartridges have been shipped by now.
Hopefully indeed but when I send ammo or aerosols I just print the label and tape it on the package. Comes in handy.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts