Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been missing the center mass paper target to the left. I have been standing in the middle using my front sights and still miss to the left. Please help getting very frustrated.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
gmb2000,

You're not giving us much information to go on with this post, so please elaborate on the problem you're having. What kind of gun, what caliber, what type of sights/scope, what rest are you using, what range/distance are you shooting at, etc.?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Also, are you right handed and are you hitting left as in 9 o'clock or more like 7 or 11 o'clock. All can indicate a different problem. Don't adjust those sights just yet.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Could be the sights, could be the shooter. If possible, get someone else to shoot the gun and see what happens; alternatively, carefully shoot the gun from a rst and see if you're still shooting left.

Often, the problem is just that the grip doesn't fit the hand well and pulling the trigger is throwing your aim off. It pays to dryfire your gun while aiming at a target and focussing completely on the sights to see if they move at the instant of pulling the trigger. Often, you can then see the movement and practice until you overcome the problem. All S&W fixed-sight revolvers shoot to the left for me -- until I add a Tyler T-grip. For me, this creates a correct fit and centers up my shooting.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Move your rear sight to the right a little bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Com

I WOULD NOT go moving sights around before the cause of the problem have been determined conclusively. Someone said "get another shooter to fire the weapon just as you have been doing. Check his results. Another very likely cause of impacts at 9-11 o'clock left of the COM is the POSTION OF THE TRIGGER FINGER. Check that you are positionong the pad of the finger correctly and that you are PRESSING the trigger straight to the rear SLOWLY... Good luck

·
Banned
484 Posts
The first question is, what do your groups look like? Are they small and round, or are they loose or strung vertically or horizontally?

If you are putting every bullet into a nice, tight, symmetrical group, then you probably need a sight adjustment. If your groups are ugly, then your technique probably needs addressing before you start messing with the equipment.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a nice tight pattern vertical
DON'T MOVE THOSE SIGHTS YET. How big of a target are we talking about and what distance? Can you take a picture of one and link it here. That would help. To really analyze someone's shooting you really need to stand and watch them and check their grip, stance, head position and trigger pull but we may be able to get through it here. Usually when someone has a problem with mechanics it will show up in mostly one particular place on the target. Such as a group that drifts to the seven o'clock area usually means you are jerking the trigger and nine o'clock is usually an issue of finger placement on the trigger itself, and eleven o'clock is usually lack of follow through. However, if you are shooting anywhere from 7 to 11 it may be a little tougher to figure out. Of course you could have a couple of problems working together such as jerking the trigger and lack of follow through or it could possibly be that the gun sights are not adjusted properly. If you could post a picture of the target it would probably help a bunch.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
These folks have given good advice

gmb2000,
Are you shooting from a rest? It is difficult to shoot a handgun well without a solid rest. Otherwise, there are a lot of variable that affect accuracy. These folks are right on. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok after looking at that picture of the target, I think its my trigger pull is the problem. What do I need to do to correct this?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ok after looking at that picture of the target, I think its my trigger pull is the problem. What do I need to do to correct this?
I suspect it is a trigger pull problem also but hard to tell for sure without watching you shoot. Dry firing will help. Make sure you have the finger properly placed on the trigger. You don't want it all the way up to the first joint but you don't want it barely hanging on the edge either. Find a happy middle between the first joint and the end of your finger where you can pull the trigger straight back while maintaining your sight picture and follow through. Try dry firing for a few minutes a day for several days and then go back to the range and give it another try. Let us know the results.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Another thing you can do on the range is what is called the "ball and dummy" drill. Have someone else load the revolver for you, using a combination of live (ball) rounds and empty (dummy) cases. Then you shoot the revolver as carefully as possible. If you are alone, load the revolver as described and spin the cylinder without looking at it before you fire. You do not want to know whether the gun will go "bang" or "click" when you pull the trigger.

When the hammer falls (click) on a "dummy", the goal is for the revolver to stay still and for the sight picture to remain on target. If the gun jumps when the hammer falls on a "dummy", you have jerked the trigger and moved the gun off target before the bullet can clear the barrel.

Focus carefully on your front sight, NOT the target, and apply very gentle pressure to the trigger, increasing it gradually until the shot fires. You should be trying for what is called a "surprise break", which means that you are not able to predict exactly WHEN the shot will fire.

A perfect shot means that you were uncertain when the shot was going to fire, because you were increasing pressure on the trigger so gradually that you couldn't predict the moment when the hammer would fall, but that you ARE certain that the sights were precisely aligned with each other and you had a sharp focus on the front sight when the round was discharged.

Here are a few different explanations of the same thing:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/joyner.htm

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=glock_faq_shooting_technique_and_practice

http://www.azccw.com/marksmanship.htm

http://www.doddsazccw.com/page/20048210

1 - 15 of 15 Posts