Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I made mention of cleaving a .50 caliber round ball on a double bitter axe and hitting a clay target (or similar at 30 paces) on either side. Granted, my percentage of hits was quite low, but it was a great game. Other games (in the true "mountain man" tradition) included splitting a playing card, "blowing out" candles, hatchet throwing :rolleyes: , "hit that" pine cone, rock etc.

The one game that amazed me the most was watching Dad and my Great Uncle shoot the bottom out of pop bottles by shooting through the mouth of the bottle ( or empty pop cans on their side in the days of pull tabs) Dad with his Single Six and Uncle with his Colt Woodsman.

What fun for this kid growing up !

RJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
Now you did it. I'm going to have to invent some new targets. Something I have been thinking about-----one of my targets is a 20" disc blade, with a hole in the center. I want to set another target behind that, and then shoot through the hole to hit the target behind, without disturbing the disc blade. I know it can be done, But I don't know if I can do it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
One of my favorite games as a kid was to take 10 rnds of 22 and see how many walnuts you could shoot out of a tree. Smart to aim for the groups to try and get multiples.

One of our new games is Zombie Apocalypse.

You shoot 3 rounds at a zombie target at different distances. 5 points for nose, 3 for head and 1 for body or hammer hit.

300 yards off bench
200 yards prone
100 yards sitting
50 yards standing

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
BreezeRidge,

For .22's, take a look at the design of biathlon targets with a hole through the center to move the flag for prone shooting.

·
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A game Doc and RJ the younger invented was to take my 4" steel plates (22 only) and place them at random distances (there's 12, 10 yards to 30 yards) and with two magazines loaded with 8 rounds each for the MKII, knock over as many as you can with a mag change in the mix. Then if you have any ammo left, try and hit one of two my 9" steel swiging plates at roughly 80 yards.

I'd get texts while I was at work: "Dad, stop and get more 22's, we'll pay you back" :rolleyes:

RJ

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
A couple of friends and I are thinking about a wild boar hunt in Europe next year, were going to build a moving wild boar target to practice on over at the farm, should be fun.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
We have been shooting thumb tacks or thumb tack targets at fifty yards from a rest with a 22 rifles. I use a Savage Mark II heavy barrel. We have a yearly BP match at our club with the matches described in the OP.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Kids, grandkids and I play gun golf. Throw a golf ball out and take turns shooting it until taking a shot that doesn't move the ball. If that happens, that person is out, and the remaining people shoot until only one is left.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A couple of friends and I are thinking about a wild boar hunt in Europe next year, were going to build a moving wild boar target to practice on over at the farm, should be fun.
Take an old tire and put a target in the middle an have a buddy roll it down a hill (slight decline works) for moving target practice. If the grade has bumps, you also have a 'jumping target'.

·
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kids, grandkids and I play gun golf. Throw a golf ball out and take turns shooting it until taking a shot that doesn't move the ball. If that happens, that person is out, and the remaining people shoot until only one is left.
A new way to play pasture pool!! I love it!!

Friend of mine came out a while back with a bowling ball. We sat it out beside my target board and inadvertantly the first shot sent it rolling towards us. WWIII ensued and with our two 44 magnums, my two 357's, his 45ACP firing on it, it was soon reduced to bits, then the bits to even smaller bits. Bowling balls are quite tough actually.

Last time Nigel (MCSD Deputy and firearms trainer) was out we played "Bear Attack" which is one of my training games where I take my 8 of my 9" AR500 steel plates and place them at random distances and positions from my 80 yard swinging targets ( in next photo) so there are ten targets total, as to require a reload of his Kimber Elite 1911, 45ACP (or in my case, a revolver switch) You start by shooting at the two swinging targets, then move "downhill" in order of distance ( to simulate "bear movement" :rolleyes:) until you come to the last two targets which are placed on the near side of the fence (in the photograph) which is twenty yards.

This simulates :rolleyes: a b'ar "coming right for you" and you "got 't get 'im" before he gets you. Misses don't count, but you if you miss any two of the further targets, you must hit both 20 yard targets or you are "dead".

Nigel's first question, "How far are those first targets again?"

" 80 yards give or take. "

"And you can hit those with your .357?"

"Not every time, no." I fired at both 80 yard targets, luckily hitting both, stunning Nigel and surprising myself as rarely can I hit both with just two shots without an audience.

We each "died" several times and Nigel's 13 year old son Ian was introduced to both my 44 magnums ( not shooting magnum loads . . . . . . yet)

Fun was had by all with Ian having the most, as it should be. :cool:

RJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
I dug a couple chunks of concrete out of the ground. Roughly 8" in diameter by about 12" long. I didn't really know how to dispose of them, so I decided to use as them as targets, reduce them to small pieces, and then use them as gravel. Bad idea. The first 2 shots from my .45 Colt sent chunks of concrete all the way back to where I was standing. Someday, I'll try it with the rifle, from 80 yards away.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I’m sure everyone has heard of the trick shot where you blast two eggs with one pistol bullet by splitting it across the knife blade......

Only you use a birdshot round.....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My Grandfather used to shoot black walnuts (minus the husks) and bottle caps for .22 practice, when I was a youngster. He made it look effortless. A hard learned skill he picked up growing up poor on a small farm in SW Missouri. A skill he maintained during the depression, as he'd promised himself his family would never go without meat on their table.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Now you did it. I'm going to have to invent some new targets. Something I have been thinking about-----one of my targets is a 20" disc blade, with a hole in the center. I want to set another target behind that, and then shoot through the hole to hit the target behind, without disturbing the disc blade. I know it can be done, But I don't know if I can do it.

Okay, I got it all set up. Was actually able to do it. Shot through the hole and hit the target behind, without even touching the disc blade. Alas, I could not do it everytime, but I think there is hope for me.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My grandfather used to set up wooden match's for us to shoot at. Idea was to first light the match and then break the match stick. He could do it on a reg basis, I lagged behind a bit! Another game I read about but never pulled off was shooting a bullet into the open neck of a plastic pop bottle. As I understand it you cannot get the bullet into the bottle unless you have it firmly held in place. The bullet entering won't displace the air fast enough and the bottle get's slid out of the way by the bullet pushing on the air. End result is supposed to be a plastic bottle moved out with no sign of a bullet hitting it anywhere!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I remember going with my Dad , Grand Dad and Uncle to "Turkey Shoots" .
Whoever got a bullet or shotgun pellet closest to the center a small black X on a white card won the turkey . You paid a dollar for the card and wrote your name on it .
I never got to shoot until I was 12 years old and Dad had gotten me a single shot 410 for Christmas .
Dad put up the $1.00 and I got my chance...although all the men shot 12 and 16 gauge ...I won the turkey with 1 pellet from the 410 dead center of that X .
I thought that little full choked 410 was the best shotgun on the planet earth !
You should have seen the look on mamma's face when I brought that big turkey into the kitchen...I still smile about that !
Gary

1 - 20 of 38 Posts