Shooters Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Kids, grandkids and I play gun golf. Throw a golf ball out and take turns shooting it until taking a shot that doesn't move the ball. If that happens, that person is out, and the remaining people shoot until only one is left.
I like shooting golf balls out around 150 yards with my rifles. This help me keep my shooting accurate.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like shooting golf balls out around 150 yards with my rifles. This help me keep my shooting accurate.

Sounds like fun, but I most likely would not be able to hold the rifle steady enough unless I was using some sort of a rest. Gettin' old ain't much fun.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Guttering nail

In one of our ML matches we had 25 yard targets made from large galvanized nails with a head some about the size of a quarter. The nail in my collection has a noticeable bend in the middle. The clock has modified my shooting to the extent that repeating this hit is somewhat out of the realm of reasonable expectations by some distance:mad:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Sounds like fun, but I most likely would not be able to hold the rifle steady enough unless I was using some sort of a rest. Gettin' old ain't much fun.
I shoot my golf balls off my bench rest which works fine for such target shooting. I am 70 years old and can't hold my rifles steady enough to shoot and hit golf ball sized targets shooting "Free-handed" without a proper and steady hold. I found that shooting small targets out to 150 yards keeps ones shooting skills sharp.:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I shoot my golf balls off my bench rest which works fine for such target shooting. I am 70 years old and can't hold my rifles steady enough to shoot and hit golf ball sized targets shooting "Free-handed" without a proper and steady hold. I found that shooting small targets out to 150 yards keeps ones shooting skills sharp.:)

Soon to be 69 years old. YES, we have to keep trying.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Years ago in my frontier muzzleloaders club shoots, we had an unofficial side match where the targets were 3" round paper discs, but they each had a fly drawn on it somewhere. Never was it in the center of the disc. The shooter had to put the disc on the target backer, but at 25 yards you couldn't see the fly. You had to remember where the fly was on your target, and hold appropriately.

Even with rifles, it was quite a challenge with iron sights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I attended a buckskinning event and they had strings tied between two posts. It cost a dollar a crack and the shooter had to cut a string to win a liter bottle of soft drink or of cheap wine. I don't remember how far away we shot at them. When I was on the PD we used to go out to the range and practice once a month. Six or seven of us, then we would go out to eat. I think someone mentioned it already, but we would set up spent twelve gauge shells and try to hit them with a pistol at 25 yards freehand. First one to hit one got their lunch paid for by the rest. That was always fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shotgun games are more fun. Annie Oakley and wobble skrap are my favorites. I'm not too bad at them, but no one is a guaranteed winner!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Eggs...
50 to 169 yards...my max allowable distance.
I had an AMT Lightning .22 pistol with a rare 8.25" barrel...iron sights...rested.
Not as hard as you might imagine. White eggs stands out.
Ok...granted...they were *jumbo* eggs... 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
A guy who was going to Alaska wanted to know how to practice for a Grizzly attack. I told him I do not have a willing Grizzly to attack you on my range, but if you load your 44 Magnum with the loads you will be using, start at the foul line and run at the 9" paper plate stuck to the 25 yards target board. Shoot all 6 rounds before getting within 5 feet. He asked why run, I'll be standing and aiming? I reminded him the bear will be charging at you AND YOU COULD DIE! Adrenaline gives you strength but does nothing to help fear, so if you run-and-shoot you simulate the bear moving at you while you wet your pants. If you can put at least 3 of 6 rounds on the plate, you might survive. For the next half hour he did exactly that and got where he put 3 or 4 rounds on the plate each time. He said, "I think I am ready, but why the 9" paper plate?" I told him his last shot will be the closest and that plate is the Grizzly's head. Pray you don't need it. I was a PD armorer before retiring and we had several unusual shooting tests other than the basic FAILURE TO STOP......2 to center of mass...then 1 to the head. One bad guy was asked why he feared dogs so much? His reply, "I can reason with a cop but a dog don't understand when I shout I GIVE UP! He keeps on chewing."

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Back in the late 70's there was a group of local Benchrest Guys. Nobody had really expensive rigs or anything that would be considered super high quality today. I had a custom 700 barreled to what was known in our area as a Wampus Kitty. 22-243. We would put money it a pot for every shot...maybe $0.50 cents sometimes a dollar. Try and shoot erasers off of pencils. It always seemed to be several shots before someone would do it. Couldn't hit the metal piece holding the eraser or blast the pencil...just the eraser. Any portion of a hit counted. I won a pot that had gotten to close to $15 bucks once. I also shot a 22-250 and when we would do sporters I would shoot one of my 25-06's.

Slow fire offhand pistol with some local LEO's for cokes. NRA targets. I won a lot of cokes back then.

Those were some fun times.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
I saved a lot of Pringle cans. The three hundred yard target has a one MOA hole in the middle with an angle iron rest for the can in the rear. It's a little large for civilization, but great fun out in the boonies. Dollar a shot and five for a hit is a money maker.
There are plans for rolling old ATV tires with a tannerite centers, but good sense is still in charge.....for now. Great practice for a DGR!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rifle or Pistol poker. Get a big piece of cardboard. Tape an entire deck of cards to it face down. Hang it up. Each person gets 5 shots to make their poker hand. You cannot shoot a card that has already been shot. Make your bet or whatever get your cards and see who won. You can take those cards down and keep goin gun till all the cards have been shot. Tape over the holes and keep going. Pick your distance and your firearm. Buy decks of cards at Family Dollar! Kicker is you only get 5 shots so you can either say your short a card for your poker hand or if you don’t make 5 hits you loose. If you both miss cards whoever hit the most cards wins.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Noisy fun-- Here's my 300 yard 1MOA challenge target. That's a Honey Roasted Peanut can full of Tannerite wrapped in alumimum foil (in case it rains before its hit, very doubtful). It'll be leveled tomorrow too. Might as well shoot it first. ;)

The hole in the plate is 1 MOA, 3"

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts