Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question: I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33mm mounted to a flat top CMMG AR15 16in barrel. I recently went to sight in at the local range, got it set on 25 yrds, but when I shoot out to 100 I am about 12-18 inches off target. Any ideas? I was expecting to shoot only 3-5 inches high. Thanks

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Quick Question: I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33mm mounted to a flat top CMMG AR15 16in barrel. I recently went to sight in at the local range, got it set on 25 yrds, but when I shoot out to 100 I am about 12-18 inches off target. Any ideas? I was expecting to shoot only 3-5 inches high. Thanks
Your rifle likely has a 4-5" difference between rifle bore and scope. Did you attempt to sight your rifle at 100 yds?? I'd bet that it would/could. But a downside on AR type rifles and scopes is where the scopes are.... mounted relative to the rifle's bore.:(

·
Registered
817 Posts
That actually seems about right. When your using the carrying handle type sights if you zero at 25 yards even at 50 yards to have to hold several inches low to hit dead. So, if your scope is mounted as high or higher than the typical AR15 sight you are going to have that much deviation at 100 yards.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sighted High

Check the many ballistics tables on the internet for your load, inputting the height from the center line of the rifle barrel bore to the centerline of the scope. If you're zeroed at 25 yards and there is a 4" distance between the scope and the rifle barrel, and if you're shooting a flat cartridge, then you should be quite high at 100 yards - 12" would not surprise me at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.