Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Good topic!

I shoot the National matches and one of the positions is seated. There are two that I have used;

1. the first seated, 45 degrees to your target, with your legs extended in front of you, elbows resting on your knees, feet slightly spread. This is a very stable position, but very uncomfortable position for myself.

2. the second, which works very well for me even with a bulky shooting jacket on, [same as your hunting coat in bulk] is sitting almost 90 degrees to your target, Indian style, with your elbows resting on your knees. At first, when I tried this, it felt very awkward, almost as if I was lying over upon myself. It does however, give you a very stable base from which to fire the shot. [sitting in the matches is all rapid fire, 10 rounds in 60 sec. with a magazine change.] this position allows for a quick follow up and target re-acquisition.

Granted the above positions are using a sling also.

I've used #2 in the field, as I never hunt from a stand, always from the ground, as done in days of old. But that's just me, I'm quirky like that.

I guess that any seated position will work provided you are "rooted" to allow a stable base with minimal movement, and your elbows are secure. The use of a sling will further enhance your base from which to shoot.

Lets hear some more!!!

Chris~

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Yes, I'm supporting the forearm with my gloved hand [would be my right] with the sling wrapped around my right arm/forearm. Darn lefty!
In your position, you are using the crook of your arm [yes?] to support the rifle; similar to using, say a log or rock? That would really be a secure stable base for a shot.

My description is purely a competition style of hold. What it comes down to is, a secure platform for a precise and efficient shot.:D
Chris~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts