Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come next Sunday morning I will be shooting in my first rifle league. This is an open caliber non-formal league that will be running for 10 weeks. Targets will vary from 100yd to 300yds. and change in size and shape with one weeks targets to all be shot from your weak side. Also each week there will be one bonus money target for those that want to participate and pay an extra fee.

The first week we will be shooting 100yd I.B.S. Official 100yd Hunter Rifle Target Second week is the 200yd Hunter target and the third week the 300yd Hunter Target. Week four is a Cold Bore with 8 different targets on it.

I will be the most novice shooter this year and from what I understand there are a total of 19 members. Also I will be the only one shooting a stock 223 Savage bolt rifle. Everyone else will be firing some form of 6mm, 6.5 or 30cal.

My biggest goal is to not finish last!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts
You'll be fine. Think of it this way, with as cold as it will be, everyone will be shaking; you can't lose!!

Best of luck to you

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here we are Sunday evening and have shot the first week. We all got started at 9:15am and the temp was 15* with a quartering wind at about 20mph. It was cold and quite uncomfortable. Then I picked a sorry bench to shoot from.Bench top was uneven and the chair was sitting in a hole which probably would have been great for someone 6'6" and not 5'7"..

Again the target was an Official I.B.S. 100YD Hunter Rifle target being shot at 100yds. 20 shots total into 5 sub-targets, one shot round robin into each.

Under the circumstances I thought I did fairly well until I arrived home and showed the target picture to my wife, who immediately commented, " You've shot better!" Gee Thanks Dear!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just received the day's scores. Mine, 159/200. two have tied for lead with 192/200, 3rd with 191/200 and 4th with 189/200. Of 19 shooters I am in solid control of 15th place!

Reactions: Pudfark and Darkker

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Well, I guess? When ya ain't first? Not being last looks pretty good. That's some miserable weather. If you're over 60 years of age? Ya shoulda won by default.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My whole goal this first year is to NOT finish last.
Weather this week looks to be about 10* warmer! Oh joy.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts
Reactions: KMW1954

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I am having a blast with this and enjoying the competition and comradery.

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts
Then you do understand the assignment. (y)(y)

Cheers

Reactions: KMW1954

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At our meeting yesterday before getting started one of the members suggested adding a week 11 and shoot the same targets we shoot the first week and then compare the scores between week one and week 11. I was a yes to that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you do understand the assignment. (y)(y)

Cheers
I honestly feel that I will fall 20-30 points behind the leaders every week, they are that much better than I am. But that is not the point or the reason I am doing this.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You never know when you might either find that groove or the "Magic" load for the yardage you are shooting.

Chin up. Sounds like you are doing great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You never know when you might either find that groove or the "Magic" load for the yardage you are shooting.

Chin up. Sounds like you are doing great.
Right now I have the best load I can make so no "Magic" there, it's now all on me! If I can finish in the middle of the pac with this bunch I will truly be proud of my accomplishment.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Couple of questions. Do you get some time to sight-in prior to shooting your competition targets? Are the targets scored by group size or by the target scoring rings? If scored by center hits, are ties broken by group size? Are you allowed to alter the target prior to shooting...example - using a sharpie or attaching a sticker? As I've gotten older, those IBS targets are harder to see. :D Sounds like a fun group.

There is a long range competition at one of the ranges I shoot at I've been thinking of preparing for...the monthly leader board for it it pretty scary. 500 yd. groups in the 2 - 3" range. Mostly 300 Win. Mags. I would be shooting 308 most likely.

My home range used to have a Military shoot just about every Saturday. My last couple of times out there, there was only one of the regulars that seemed to be active anymore.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding but have worked the last couple days and fighting a winter cold at the same time. Nitequill and 15hrs sleep, feel much better.

The IBS targets for the 100 and 200 are both 6" round, the 100 has a 1/2" bull and the 200 has a 1" bull. The 300yd target is much larger, I have one but haven't measured it.

The scoring is done by the rings with a possible 200 points and not sure how it will be determined at the end of the season if there is a point tie.

To begin the shoot there are 2 fouling shots off target and then 3 sight-in shots until week 5 and then there are no sigh-in shots. No altering of the target,

Last year I think there were 16 shooter to start and they finished the season with 12. This year it is up in members I believe partly because many of the RO's have been promoting it. Thursday while I was working I had 3 other shooters ask about the league and was it too late to join.

I believe what helps make this work is the informality of it. The only real commitment is to shoot each week for 10 weeks total. Members can shoot their targets any day or time that the range is open so you can kind of shoot at your convenience and they will allow you to shoot one week ahead or one week behind with no penalty. I will be shooting mine tomorrow just because of weather conditions. Warmer with low wind.

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Thanks for the explain KMW, I like following this thread and learning things. I wish I had the mobility to do it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the explain KMW, I like following this thread and learning things. I wish I had the mobility to do it.
The most physical are the two weeks we shoot at the 100yd because of the walk to the targets. A;; other weeks are done at the 200/300 yard range for which the range provides a golf cart to go down to the target stands.

Glad you are enjoying this as I will continue to report by progress.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So week two was a bit disappointing for the newbie. 127/200 with 5 shots off the scoring area. Outside the 7 ring do not score. But I learned a couple valuable lesson. Don't clean the barrel before hand. Found this rifle likes to shoot dirty. Took almost 15 shots to get it to settle down. This scope is .10 MILRAD clicks. on these targets 1 click will take me from one side of the bull to the other. So either way dead hold is out of the bullseye.

Week 3 doesn't look to be any more promising as I have only shot to 300 yards a hand full of times. This will be the same format with basically the same target only these have a 6" target area and a 1.5" bull. I hope to be able to get out tomorrow to practice ans sight in to at least find my elevation. Then Shoot Friday as it looks to hold the best weather for the week.

Last weeks target
Rectangle Textile Font Pink Violet

First weeks target;
Font Rectangle Circle Pattern Design

1 - 19 of 19 Posts