Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out sighting in a new Marlin 336C this afternoon, and took along my 1976 39M to check it out. I'm going to be using it for squirrels this year, and wanted to see if the original sighting had stuck after all these years. I think it has been at least 20 years since it was fired. Also, it has been about that long since I fired a rifle with a scope, and I figured a little practice with the 39M would help in shooting the 336C.

The gun has a Bushnell Scopechief Twenty-Two 3x-8x scope which hasn't been touched since originally installed in 1976, as far as I can recall.

I also had some ancient Remington promo long rifle ammo from 12-15 years ago. and I tried some of it just to see how well it had held up. So, old shooter with an old gun and old scope shooting old ammo... nowhere to go but up, right? :eek:

First string was 10 shots of the old ammo, Remington Golden round nose solid, at 25 yards. First two shots were high, and were also the slowest and the fastest of the string. After that, though, the gun, the scope and the shooter settled down and shot a decent group with the next 8 rounds.

That string averaged 1130 fps with a standard deviation of 16 fps, not bad for 15 year-old bulk ammo.

Next string was 8 shots with new ammo, but also bulk, Remington Golden Bullets high velocity round nose hollow points, and at 20 yards. I couldn't remember if the gun had been sighted for 20 or 25 yards, so was trying both. That group was better.

The advertised velocity of these was 1280, but mine averaged 1098 from my 20" barrel with a SD of 22 fps.

I decided the gun had been sighted in with a near zero of 20 yards, and that should put the bullet 0.5" high at 40 yards and on zero again at 59 yards, so my next string was at that distance.

Looking at that group the 20 yard near zero seems right. The wind was light, but was blowing from the left. I decided to wait until another session to see if the windage needs adjusting. I'll get her dead on before squirrel season.

This gun is a little gem. I am amazed how solid it feels, how much like a big game rifle it feels. It really was great practice for my session with the .35 Remington 336.

That seems impressive performance after sitting on the bench for so long.

Spence

·
Banned
421 Posts
That looks like some real nice shooting to me Spence! Especially using Remington bulk, which I can't seem to get to shoot well in anything I have so far. I usually find it to be dirty as well.
Gotta love those Mounties! I have a 1955 that I wouldn't sell for anything. As you said, it's such a solid gun, feeling just about as perfect as one can get. I'm not a scope guy when it comes to levers though I'm afraid. I've been fortunate enough to still be able to use open sights for 52 years, although I'm not as fast as I once was. I have put peeps on a few levers and that seems to help a lot.
You appear to be set up right considering you even have a chrony to work with. That's one toy I haven't picked up yet, but it would be nice to be able to get a little more down and dirty when comparing ammo. I don't reload either though since I shoot way more rimfire than anything else.
So far, a nice old Mossberg, and a Mountie. I can't wait to see what other toys you have in your toy box!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You appear to be set up right considering you even have a chrony to work with. That's one toy I haven't picked up yet, but it would be nice to be able to get a little more down and dirty when comparing ammo. I don't reload either though since I shoot way more rimfire than anything else.
Up until this spring I've been strictly a black powder shooter, and the chronograph was a good tool for working up loads, since you are basically "handloading" every shot with a muzzleloader. When shooting smokeless I don't think they are really helpful unless you handload. I play with mine because I have it, but it really doesn't change my shooting.

"So far, a nice old Mossberg, and a Mountie. I can't wait to see what other toys you have in your toy box!"

Well, this is off topic, but I do have a 1950 Remington Wingmaster 870 which my father gave me for my 17th birthday. Ill send along a picture if you will promise not to tell the Overloards I'm posting shotgun pictures on the Marlin 39 Forum. :D

Spence

·
Registered
227 Posts
Those little Mounties can shoot. I picked up a '69 vintage to go with my '63 39A. The Mountie shot much better than my very well used 39A, well enough to convince me to get the 39A rebarreled. Now they shoot about the same; very well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a photo of your 39M ,Spence?
I'm sure that a lot of folks would like to see it!

Sure, glad to. I am a new member and haven't quite gotten used to the idea that when I post a picture on one forum, which I've done for this gun, it can't be seen on others.

Spence

·
Banned
421 Posts
That mountie is a beauty! I like the 870 also. I have a Springfield 67B that looks a lot like that. Probably a similar vintage too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fine lookin' 39M!

Thank you Spence for that photo ! I think I've seen it on Rimfire central ,but it is certainly worth seeing again.
I noticed that you are not using the off-set hammer spur with the scope. Apparently it is not a problem.
I don't have a scope on my 39A, but it came with the off-set spur.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed that you are not using the off-set hammer spur with the scope. Apparently it is not a problem.
It's no problem for now, but I may decide to add one later. Most of the hunting I do with this gun will be for squirrels in warm weather, and gloves won't be worn. It's comfortable and safe to cock the hammer without gloves, but I can imagine it might be a problem with gloves.

Spence

1 - 9 of 9 Posts