Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a small land holder (22acres) can I write my own property letter to accuire a leaver action 22lr, for the humane destruction of fereal cats and Pigeons that frequent our sheds and chook pens.

Also do you think there would be a problem as I already own 22lr bolt action.

Cheers and thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sorry i can't help you , i only no Victorian rules .
You should be able to google westernaustralia.gov and find out.
:)
I would be tempted to look at getting a lever chambered in 410 shotgun.
They are not common but they are around, i'v seen two winchester 94's come up for sale in the last 12 months.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a small land holder (22acres) can I write my own property letter to accuire a leaver action 22lr, for the humane destruction of fereal cats and Pigeons that frequent our sheds and chook pens.

Also do think there would be a problem as I already own 22lr bolt action.

Cheers and thanks for any info
As a West Australian, yes you can supply your own property letter. 22 acres might let you down though. A couple of other things, would you use a .22 LR shooting in a shed? You would soon have a few holes in the roof. Re already having a .22 LR, if you can demonstrate the need for a second, no problem. Most firearms I own happen to be in pairs. Even when it comes to having 2 X Tikka T3 both in .270W. All that was needed was that one would have a dedicated thermal and the other a day scope, nothing more.
Just reread your post properly, OK you did NOT say "in the shed"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not common but they are around, i'v seen two winchester 94's come up for sale in the last 12 months.
Ive been looking at tne marlin 336 lever 410, theres nobody that stocks them over here but I found a dealer in Qld, but I might wait and see what the feed back is like about the new Henry 410 thats just been released

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a West Australian, yes you can supply your own property letter. 22 acres might let you down though. A couple of other things, would you use a .22 LR shooting in a shed? You would soon have a few holes in the roof. Re already having a .22 LR, if you can demonstrate the need for a second, no problem. Most firearms I own happen to be in pairs. Even when it comes to having 2 X Tikka T3 both in .270W. All that was needed was that one would have a dedicated thermal and the other a day scope, nothing more.
I would use bird shot in and around the sheds

The reason I want a lever is because my other .22 is scope mounted and doesnt come with open sites (Ruger 77/22) and personly I would rather shoot at close range with an open site

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
17HMR for outside work. Close up inside sheds, then a 410 with rice in the the cartridge replacing the lead shot. Less likely to damage the roof sheets/ tiles. Even a good air rifle is likely to do that. The 17HMR has less a chance of richoing as against a 22RF and will kill a cat no problem. What would be nice would be a 17HMR barrel over a 410 but doubt anyone makes one. What a handy little tool that would be around the yard ??

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
17 hmr would be a pretty load yard banger , very affective and + 1 on the ricochet.
I baught a marlin mach 2 for that reason , shame amo is so hard to get.
Lever action 4/10 and a press to make suitable loads would be hard to beet on a few levels i think.
a 410 17 hmr and 17wsm 20 gauge combo's would be rather handy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a nice little browning bl22 yesterday, my application was approved

Just put the the paperwork in for a .410 shotgun a cheap single shot adler and a Diana panther .177 air rifle hopefully tney get approved aswell.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
A good friend of mine just traded for a BL-22 on Saturday. I consider it the best of the lever action 22 rimfires. GREAT guns!

·
Registered
526 Posts
17HMR for outside work. Close up inside sheds, then a 410 with rice in the the cartridge replacing the lead shot. Less likely to damage the roof sheets/ tiles. Even a good air rifle is likely to do that. The 17HMR has less a chance of richoing as against a 22RF and will kill a cat no problem. What would be nice would be a 17HMR barrel over a 410 but doubt anyone makes one. What a handy little tool that would be around the yard ??

One of the finest combo guns was a 28ga over a 22 Hornet, weight about 4.5 lbs. Priced just short of the Stratosphere, so I passed on that one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just purchased a 2nd hand Marlin (stamped JM) .410 leaver shotgun.

Also do you think it would appropriate for shooting foxs from 50m out with slugs?

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Sawyers--- Foxes at 50 meters may be beyond the accuracy potential. You'll just have to try it. Some (slug guns) shoot good and some don't.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not sure if you can find them down where you are, but I would strongly suggest a Savage 24 Combo gun. 22LR over .410 or 22mag over .410.

One long arm to carry around and covers all situations. In the barn/shed and outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sawyers--- Foxes at 50 meters may be beyond the accuracy potential. You'll just have to try it. Some (slug guns) shoot good and some don't.
I just purchased a cheap single shot .410, so I need to show the genuine need the own this gun and because its been re categorized as cat b firearm why the single shot would be inadequate.

I was going to say it was for shooting foxs with slugs as the other gun is fully choked it wasnt appropriate for the task

Personally I dont see the problem as this furearm would be a great tool for a small landowner like myself, its just prooving it to the lo al authorities can be a problem

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Not trying to antagonize anyone but do the computers sold down under not have spell check, I've noticed that the posts from you guys are replete with errors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts