Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I want to find a shoting sling as used in this article.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting_tips/rs_benchrest_200809/index.html

look like the same type of shooting sling Wayne Van Swoll use on petersen hunting
tv shows. It's the model that you put your arm thru a loop and tighten.
Cant seem to find some anywhere at least by description i cant be sure
its the model i want.

Do you have any models to suggest?
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Brownell's has one called the Latigo Sling. I think you'll find that that's the one. They come in 1" and 1 1/4", brown and black, etc. Not cheap though, from $70 to $100. I've been thinking of getting one of those myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I just checked, that's the one Wayne Van Zwoll speaks of in "The Complete Book of the .22", and "The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting". It's called the Quick-Set Latigo Sling, sold by Brownell's. He touts it as the only shooting sling to use. BTW that article you referred to from Rifle Shooter is pretty interesting!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
This looks a lot like the sling sold by CMP to go with their M1's. I just checked their website, but couldn't find any for sale now. Seems like they were about $30. Very nice sling.

When I get home tonight, I'll check the manufacturer and post that info.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Go to gunpartscorp.com You will find both the 1" and the 1 1/4" wide military sling for the Garand, 1903 Springfield, and the 1917 Enfield. They run from $32.40 for the 1" model to $32.70 for the 1 1/4" model. These are the slings that I use for most of my rifles, and they can be used as dscribed in your article. Also Uncle Mikes has a nylon version in 1" wide.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to gunpartscorp.com You will find both the 1" and the 1 1/4" wide military sling for the Garand, 1903 Springfield, and the 1917 Enfield. They run from $32.40 for the 1" model to $32.70 for the 1 1/4" model. These are the slings that I use for most of my rifles, and they can be used as dscribed in your article. Also Uncle Mikes has a nylon version in 1" wide.
checked on their web site and it looks like a sling i bought at a surplus, but i guess it's because i have no idea how to set it up. can't see how i can form a loop with it that i can put my arm thru and use bands to thigthen on my biceps. some of you know where i can find instructions

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's why the Latigo sling is the only one I know of that is made that way. Wayne Van Swoll said the same thing, that it's the only one he knows of. You'd think someone would make one like it, in nylon web to keep the cost down, but I haven't seen one yet. Here's what he said in his book "Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting":
"Kneeling, sitting or prone, a sling with a shooting loop is far superior to a carrying strap. Instead of wrapping you arm around the strap and tightening it front to back by cocking your arm, you slip your arm through the loop of the forward section. As your left hand comes over the sling to grasp the forend and the butt meets your shoulder, the sling pulls taut against your upper arm. The tension hauls the forward swivel, and the rifle, back towards you. The rear section of the sling is loose; there's no tension on the rear swivel... For many hunting seasons my favorite has been the Latigo, a sling marketed by Brownell's... All you do is flip the loop a half turn out and slip your arm through it. Then you bring the loop up high on your arm, between bulges of shoulder and triceps, and run the keeper down to snug it there. Flip your hand over the sling and grab the forend. The flat of the sling follows the contours of your left hand as you as you apply tension by shouldering the rifle. To my mind, the only suitable sling material is leather."

I hope that helps somebody. I'm definitely going to give it a try myself.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
checked on their web site and it looks like a sling i bought at a surplus, but i guess it's because i have no idea how to set it up. can't see how i can form a loop with it that i can put my arm thru and use bands to thigthen on my biceps. some of you know where i can find instructions
http://www.turnersling.com/

These guys have leather slings and they supply the CMP.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/marksmanship/shoot_with_a_sling.htm

Here's how to set the sling up.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/marksmanship/installsling.htm

·
Banned
507 Posts
I am one of those folks that uses some time tested things, I use a M14 sling that the USMC shooting team uses. Guess what? it is Latigo type of sling or vice versus. They weren't cheap when I bought mine.

Just lookd at how to use a sling, so I have been using my rifle sling properly all these years, so my sergeant was right,....... again.

Jerry

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts