Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use shooting sticks while hunting? I was thinking about getting bipod sticks but wondering if I should get the tripod?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I been wipped with a "cat of 9-tales" over this subject in years passed on several forums. However, I am still sticking to my guns period. The day I need shooting sticks to hold up my friggin rifle, is the day I will turn them over to my offspring. :eek: :rolleyes::mad:

I was brought up with the idea that marksmanship began in the field and I didn't need dear old mother to hold up my pants or my rifle, in order to hit the target or big game animal. This is what good practice sessions are all about in the first place.

I can just see me now, asking my D.I. for a pair of shooting sticks while on the KD range. I hate to think what he would have said to me and worse yet what I would have had to do latter.

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
Guess everyone has their own opinion. I don't need mom to hold up my pants or steady my rifle but still use shooting sticks. i used rifle mounted bi-pods for years and struggled getting them set up into good shooting positions on hillsides and uneven ground. When I used my first set of shooting sticks it was one of those moments that was ...... Duhhhh this is so easy, why didn't I think of it before?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I been wipped with a "cat of 9-tales" over this subject in years passed on several forums. However, I am still sticking to my guns period. The day I need shooting sticks to hold up my friggin rifle, is the day I will turn them over to my offspring. :eek: :rolleyes::mad:

I was brought up with the idea that marksmanship began in the field and I didn't need dear old mother to hold up my pants or my rifle, in order to hit the target or big game animal. This is what good practice sessions are all about in the first place.

I can just see me now, asking my D.I. for a pair of shooting sticks while on the KD range. I hate to think what he would have said to me and worse yet what I would have had to do latter.
I do appreciate your response and also your stance on the subject. While I didn't need shooting sticks in Iraq (yes I fired my weapon there alot) I don't feel that is a fair comparison to a hunt for game animals. I would think in a hunting scenario we would want to do anything we can to make that shot as accurate as we possibly can. Can I make a 100 yeard shot on a hog with a modern single shot handgun? Yes I can. But I would like to take as many factors out of the equation as I can. So I am looking into shooting sticks.

Again, I do appreciate your response and your stance on the subject.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Never mind me youngster, I am set in my ways but I do believe BROWNELLS has several types to glimmer at. I can still take my .model 70 Winchester .270 cal. and hit a target (9 inch paper plate, with 6 inch red center) at 200 yds freehanded standing and that is not just whistling DIXIE Gents.;) The proper training or shooting sessons builds confidence in ones shooting ability! However, if you don't practice properly, you certainly are going to need your shooting sticks and a few prayers to boot.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Well, I guess I'm in the middle on this one. I practice shooting off-hand all the time. I shot competion where you had to shoot off-hand and I'm pretty good at it. Now, that being said, I'll bet all the anti-shooting stick shooters can probably think of a lot of times where they used a bipod on a rifle, laid their gun accross their pack for a rest, or leaned up against a tree to steady themselves. My only thing against using shooting sticks is simply carrying them around. They're a pain in the butt to carry. When shooting out of a ground blind I keep a set inside but most of the time forget to use them. On another note, most of the many, many shooters I met at competitions over the years simply don't shoot very well. They like to compete but just aren't that good at it. Shooting a rifle off-hand accurately requires more practice than it does to become a good shooter with a handgun off-hand. I was a world class handgun shooter at one time and when I decided to get into rifle shooting competition I thought it would be a piece of cake. Heck, if you can shoot a handgun good off-hand, a rifle must be really easy. Wrong!!! It actually is harder to shoot the rifle well off-hand. I believe most shooters would benefit from using sticks to shoot. Which sticks are best? I think the bipod type are better than the tripod type simply because they are about 95% as steady and you have a little less of that pain-in-the-butt to carry around.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't hunt out of a blind and hunt some very steep brushy country.I never leave home without my shooting sticks.They make a good walking stick when I am hunting and come in very handy on those long cross canyon shots where no better rest is available.If you get some practice shooting off them before you go out hunting.

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
Does anyone use shooting sticks while hunting? I was thinking about getting bipod sticks but wondering if I should get the tripod?
I forgot to mention in the previous post I use the Bi-pod sticks. I don't see how the tri-pods would be much of an advantage but I've never tried them.

Like was mentioned one of the biggest problems with the sticks is remembering to pick them up after the shot (at least for me). I remember to pick up my empty case, grab the pack and shoulder the rifle but on several occaisions forgot the sticks. Definately not fun going back and looking for 'em in the dark.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Well, that's one thought.

I have a lifetime hunting buddy (45 years) that needed a shoulder repair after a hard crash on the ice. He can't shoot his bow anymore (two P&Y elk), and needs a support to hold his rifle for a shot. He uses a walking stick model that's quickly adjustable for height.

It's no replacement for the ability to bring the rifle up quickly for a shot in heavy cover, but it's better than staying home. It's simpler, lighter, and faster than a bipod/tripod.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi Xtreme375,

I agree with you but it may have something to do with my age. I hunted at a time when hunters know how to shoot from the prone, sitting and kneeling position, besides off hand. I have never been a good off hand shooter and almost all of my game has came from the setting position or kneeling with high grass. I have shot many deer from the off hand position but only with close shots.

In my opinion many new hunters are influenced by modern advertising and TV shows hosted by mediocre hunters. They pay a guide who uses a shooting house over a feed lot and new hunters think that this is the way you hunt. When I was hunting fair chase was held in high esteem but now many hunters don't even understand what fair chase is. In other cases we see someone in Africa using shooting sticks because the guide knows he can't shoot a big gun with out assistance. That is not the guides fault because the dude is paying tens of thousands for the hunt and the guide is expected to produce. We see them using sticks in Africa so it must be a good thing for us to do also.

I have returned to shooting after a long absence and now we are using scopes that are way over powered and some hunters can't aim them with out sticks or bi-pods. People carry around a deer rifle with a bi-pod just because it looks cool. A bi-pod is handy for a varmint shooter but just a nuisance in most other cases. In many cases if you see a healthy person carrying sticks one of the following is usually true, if not all of them.

1. The person is not a good shot at off hand.

2. The scope is on too high of power.

3. The person watches hunting shows on TV.

4. The person doesn't know how to shoot from sitting or kneeling.

There are probably more reasons and there are always exceptions.

Please keep in mind that this is my opinion and may not be true with our readers.

Frank

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Wow! Just wow!

I have been shooting with sticks for about 40 years. I CAN shoot freehand, but no one (I repeat no one) can shoot as well off hand as they can from a rest of some sort. I use fixed power 4X scopes. I never watch hunting shows on TV because they are stupid. I can shoot well from sitting (kneeling is not nearly as good) but I shoot even better sitting behind shooting sticks. They even help with balance etc. when crossing beaver dams, or rough ground like muskeg etc.

Where on earth does the idea that being "manly" is more important than being accurate come from? Shooting sticks are a great idea whenever they are practical. Deep in the bush, they can be hard to carry, but I can always find an improvised rest of some sort if there is time, so I don't use them often. In more open territory they are really valuable for long shots.

There is a lot of rather silly prejudice against sticks here so far. I will use anything that makes my shots more certain when I'm hunting if I possibly can. Anyone who makes a bad shot more probable because of some perceived inferiority of anyone who uses sticks or bipods is just foolish.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi Xtreme375,

I agree with you but it may have something to do with my age. I hunted at a time when hunters know how to shoot from the prone, sitting and kneeling position, besides off hand. I have never been a good off hand shooter and almost all of my game has came from the setting position or kneeling with high grass. I have shot many deer from the off hand position but only with close shots.

In my opinion many new hunters are influenced by modern advertising and TV shows hosted by mediocre hunters. They pay a guide who uses a shooting house over a feed lot and new hunters think that this is the way you hunt. When I was hunting fair chase was held in high esteem but now many hunters don't even understand what fair chase is. In other cases we see someone in Africa using shooting sticks because the guide knows he can't shoot a big gun with out assistance. That is not the guides fault because the dude is paying tens of thousands for the hunt and the guide is expected to produce. We see them using sticks in Africa so it must be a good thing for us to do also.

I have returned to shooting after a long absence and now we are using scopes that are way over powered and some hunters can't aim them with out sticks or bi-pods. People carry around a deer rifle with a bi-pod just because it looks cool. A bi-pod is handy for a varmint shooter but just a nuisance in most other cases. In many cases if you see a healthy person carrying sticks one of the following is usually true, if not all of them.

1. The person is not a good shot at off hand.

2. The scope is on too high of power.

3. The person watches hunting shows on TV.

4. The person doesn't know how to shoot from sitting or kneeling.

There are probably more reasons and there are always exceptions.

Please keep in mind that this is my opinion and may not be true with our readers.

Frank
frank I am going to respectfully disagree with the bipod statement. A bipod is a very useful tool my bolt actions wear one every time I am hunting. I can shoot offhand but not at 400 yards. They also make a very good stand when you are taking a break or glassing. I believe the usefulness of a bipod is much more for western hunters. I will echo what you said this is just my 2 cents

I will also add that prone with a bipod for me is as good as sandbags or anybody with practice

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Wow! Just wow!

I have been shooting with sticks for about 40 years. I CAN shoot freehand, but no one (I repeat no one) can shoot as well off hand as they can from a rest of some sort. I use fixed power 4X scopes. I never watch hunting shows on TV because they are stupid. I can shoot well from sitting (kneeling is not nearly as good) but I shoot even better sitting behind shooting sticks. They even help with balance etc. when crossing beaver dams, or rough ground like muskeg etc.

Where on earth does the idea that being "manly" is more important than being accurate come from? Shooting sticks are a great idea whenever they are practical. Deep in the bush, they can be hard to carry, but I can always find an improvised rest of some sort if there is time, so I don't use them often. In more open territory they are really valuable for long shots.

There is a lot of rather silly prejudice against sticks here so far. I will use anything that makes my shots more certain when I'm hunting if I possibly can. Anyone who makes a bad shot more probable because of some perceived inferiority of anyone who uses sticks or bipods is just foolish.
very good post I agree 100%

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
wow, just wow.

Okay, just so we are all clear here, I practice field position shots while at the range.
I also practice with my shooting sticks.
Why?

Because they work. Saying that shooting sticks are or aren't good/helpful/manly is just plain silly talk. That's like saying hunting with a semi auto isn't sporting. Silliness. We tend to kill ourselves as hunters and shooters by doing just this sort of silliness and balkanizing shooters into tiny groups.

The mentioned 9 inch paper plate at 200 yards offhand? Yep, you better be able to do that with regularity. 200 yards is short. You owe it to the animal you're hunting.

Reactions: HT2

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Well, I've never used shooting sticks before, and I can't see hauling a bipod/tripod around in the hardwoods of the northeast, or oakbrush on the western slopes of the Rockies. The shots are rarely that far, and anything hanging off the shooter or rifle becomes a frustrating battle with the bushes.

But I think the next trip to the plains I might get one of those quick adjust walking sticks. Dropping for a prone shot, or even a sitting position isn't quite as fluid as it was just a couple decades ago :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi TMan,

You make a very good point about older hunters who can no longer get down into a prone position or get up from a sitting position. I recently started target shooting again and I find that I can't do prone any longer. The back just can't take it. It seems that Silhouette off hand or from a bench is what I am limited to.

Frank

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was brought up to believe that where you put you bullet is what count
if it take a set of sticks,leaning up against a tree or laying across a pack to make a precise shot then so be it
I will never have to hand my gun over to anyone
what ever works to make a precise shot works for me

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Does it really make any difference whether or not some hunters use shooting sticks? It's not a contest and no one's cheating. If that's what it takes for someone to be able to hunt and give them a reasonable shot at a game animal then let's support them just being out there and supporting hunting like the rest of us. I don't really care how the other guy takes the shot, that's up to him or her. I think there's other things to worry about right now regarding guns. What's next? Banning "assault sticks"?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Does it really make any difference whether or not some hunters use shooting sticks? It's not a contest and no one's cheating. If that's what it takes for someone to be able to hunt and give them a reasonable shot at a game animal then let's support them just being out there and supporting hunting like the rest of us. I don't really care how the other guy takes the shot, that's up to him or her. I think there's other things to worry about right now regarding guns. What's next? Banning "assault sticks"?
There we go again thinking it's OK to let the ones who can't really shoot use sticks because at least they are "being out there". Where does that garbage come from?

To the OP: Using a rest of some sort for any hunting shot is what real hunters do. It is not due to some "weakness" that must be compensated; good hunters use a rest so they shoot better because the very best shot is the only one you should try. Carrying that rest around (shooting sticks or a bipod) when natural rests are few and far between in the environment you're hunting is a STRATEGY for making good shots, especially at range. It's not revealing any inferiority or weakness or inability. It's SMART.

I highly recommend shooting sticks. My most frequent hunting partner prefers a bipod attached to the fore end because he hates having something in his off hand. I find that bipods are heavy, slow to set up, and often cant the sights. It can also be hard to "follow" a moving animal. So I use sticks. I also prefer the "safari sling" type of carry, and I find the combination of sling and sticks is very quick and flexible.

Please feel free to experiment with sticks and bipods without fear "cheating", or of giving up your manhood.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There we go again thinking it's OK to let the ones who can't really shoot use sticks because at least they are "being out there". Where does that garbage come from?

To the OP: Using a rest of some sort for any hunting shot is what real hunters do. It is not due to some "weakness" that must be compensated; good hunters use a rest so they shoot better because the very best shot is the only one you should try. Carrying that rest around (shooting sticks or a bipod) when natural rests are few and far between in the environment you're hunting is a STRATEGY for making good shots, especially at range. It's not revealing any inferiority or weakness or inability. It's SMART.

I highly recommend shooting sticks. My most frequent hunting partner prefers a bipod attached to the fore end because he hates having something in his off hand. I find that bipods are heavy, slow to set up, and often cant the sights. It can also be hard to "follow" a moving animal. So I use sticks. I also prefer the "safari sling" type of carry, and I find the combination of sling and sticks is very quick and flexible.

Please feel free to experiment with sticks and bipods without fear "cheating", or of giving up your manhood.
Better to remain silent and though a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts