Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read about a guy who was shooting his iron- sighted revolver at targets placed at 200 yards. He was shooting from the seated position with his elbows resting on his knees. He said that he had found that he was more accurate if he locked his right elbow (right handed) rather than having it bent. Have you all found that it makes much difference? Thanks, Brian.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am shooting handguns because I shot a longbow for too many years with a locked elbow. The recoil of the longbows trashed the shoulder joint.
I shoot my handguns with both elbows slightly bent. If it hurts accuracy, so be it, at least it doesn't hurt me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
revolver shooting position book/video

What would be a good book with illustrations/photos or a video that would describe and show proper technique for shooting a revolver? I do fairly well but certainly not as good as the gun is capable of. I would like to see good form. There are many ways to hold the gun, support the elbows etc. and I do not know how best to do it. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Brian,

In some action pistol competitions there is are times people shoot sitting. They all vary. Some are similar, with minor variations. Others are very dissimilar. In PPC, for example, the current "fad" is to (RH) bend your right leg tightly and wrap a two-handed grip around it with the left extended, then lean back to get solid. I can't do it.

Elmer Keith laid back on his left elbow and rested against a bent right leg. It worked for him, but not for me.

I prefer a two-handed hold over both knees with both arms slightly bent to absorb recoil. I believe it is what you find is tolerable to begin, and then get used to using.

dclark

·
Registered
311 Posts
dclark,
I tried that and it seems to work fairly well.

LLoyd,
I've got more belly than you. Yours doesn't workk for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Excellent article. The first one that I have seen that actualy trys to explain the proper method of shooting a revolver. I'm going to spend some time on the range this afternoon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts