Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I iinherited my father in laws old target .38 from when he used to shoot bullseye competition. He purchased it from Gil Hebard back in the early 60s. It's a Colt Officers Match that was a factory conversion to "short action"..Right now it only functions as single action. If I try to use it double action the hammer is not cocked to firing position. It's not a problem for me but I'd like to know from anyone familiar with this conversion if it's only meant to operate as single action. Seems to me that would slow things down for the rapid fire part of bullseye competition.

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
That's a short action, single action only. There was no rapid fire in indoor pistol competition that I know of.
The point was to recock with as little interruption of the grip as possible.
Those are great target revolvers!

I have an Officer's Model Match in 22 LR that is still DA and slickern deer guts on the pump handle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
short action Colt

Thanks much JBelk that eases my mind. I do believe I confused rapid fire for timed fire which I thnk was part of bullseye competition. It is a very slick shooter. My father in law turned it ihto a fun shooter after switching to a S&W Model 52 (?) semi auto that shot wad cutters. He put a 1.5x scope on the Colt before it became mine but it's my favorite pistol to introduce new or timit shooters to target shooting. The light up when they see their groups. Restihg oh a sandbag it will shoot cloverleafs at an indoor range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Nice gun! I expected to see rosewood grips with a big thumb rest on the side. Some Model Matches had very distinctive grips that became collectors items in their own right.

It's been years since I saw my last Model 52 S&W. Nice guns....kind of a steel framed M39 built for 38 wadcutter only.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
short action Colt

I actually have two pair of those grips that came with the pistol but I'm a southpaw and they just don't work for me. When I give the gun to one of my sons or grandsons they'll be able to use them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts