Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Rem 700 in 221 fireball, is this considered a "real" short action? My sako 223 is a short action, big difference. I'm getting some scope mts, 2 piece type and this Remington action length could get confusing. Thanks :confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
"Short" actions are what the manufacturer calls them, there is no hard and fast set of dimensions. I think that Sako has 4 or 5 action lengths, although I might be confusing them with one of the other European manufacturers.

Get 2-piece bases if in doubt, but I believe that Remington only has one 'short' action. I believe tha the two-piece bases will fit any Remington action, but double-check before purchasing. Should say so on the package.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Mike is quite right. Each rifle manufacturer has their own standard for action length, but if you get bases for a short action Rem 700, they will fit.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
There's just one thing to watch on short Remingtons.
Some Model 7 and XP-100 guns only have one mounting screw hole on the rear bridge. You have to use a long one piece base on them, with most, maybe all, makes of mounts.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
176 Posts
Add to Jack's list of one hole one the rear bridge Rem.s the 600 and 660 actions.

Fireplug

Jack Monteith said:
There's just one thing to watch on short Remingtons.
Some Model 7 and XP-100 guns only have one mounting screw hole on the rear bridge. You have to use a long one piece base on them, with most, maybe all, makes of mounts.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Jack. I think I have seen advertised one make of bases that say you can have a 2-piece base for the Model 7. But I don't think that I would trust it for much more than a .223.

My post should have said the Rem 700 short actions are all the same (as far as I know). Keep forgetting about the odds and ends like the 600/660 and old XP 100s (basically the same action) and the Model 7 and the new XPs (also pretty much the same - I think).

Not sure where the new 673 fits in.... getting a headache now.... gosh I appreciate the integral bases on a Ruger 77 even more now!!!!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Should have remembered the 600 & 660. I seem to have skipped that stage of life between too young to have "Been there, done that" and the stage where I can't remember I was there and did it.

Leupold's site only shows the 1 piece mounts for the 673, so I guess it's got the short, 1 screw-hole rear bridge too.
http://www.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

Frank de Haas' book, "Bolt Action Rifles", lists 4 Sako action lengths, with bolt throws of 2.925", 3.00", 3.750" and 4.635". The Remington 7's throw is 3.850" and the 700's are 4.00" and 4.850". Apparently the early long actions (just the 721?) had a 4.50" throw, except for the .300 H&H models.

Bye
Jack

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,990 Posts
SEE - That's why I have so many Rugers and no Remingtons!!! Only thing I have to worry about is whether the scope will fit between the rings. (The Model 1's sure need an extension ring on the rear mount, tho!) This way I avoid all that headachey stuff and just concentrate on making sure I don't mix the rings up from front to back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts