Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 44 mag Marlin short rifle for more than four years. In all that time I can't recall a jam or misfeed regardless of what I've put throught it (as long as they didn't exceed SAAMI spec COL of 1.610). This includes hundreds of the heaviest 300g handloads and thousands of rounds of factory ammo. Next to my Colt AR15 it is the most reliable rifle I've ever owned.

Last weekend, I got my first jams by gently easing the lever to drop fired cases into my hand rather than letting them eject normally. The following cartridge then wedges in front of the carrier with the case rim hung up at the mouth of the magazine tube. Real pain in the neck to clear. Nerve racking too because tapping the jammed cartridge free means tapping awfully close to the live primer. Whew! Moral... never, ever short cycle your levergun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i ain't no 'smith, but my feet are dry with no directions on the heels.  drop off the fore-arm and pull the mag tube off.  run a couple of dry patches thru mag tube and pull out gunk.  some look like a sewer pipe.  run thru a couple with solvent.  oil LIGHTLY.  clean spring with solvent, oil lightly.  inspect follower for burrs and deburr if present.  try to cycle slowly with dummies--dead primer and no powder,  seated to correct length.  bet a coke see'll feed EVERY time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Racket:

The tube and action are kept sparkling clean and lightly lubed. This wasn't the result of dirt or gunk buildup. It's cause seems to be the slow and incomplete cycling of the lever allows the next cartridge's rim to feed in to the action slightly but is then not engaged by the carrier to lift the cartridge up to the breech. The carrier simply passes upward wedging the cartridge case rim between the carrier and the mouth of the mag tube at which point it jams completly.

My solution was to open the end cap of the tube and remove the mag spring. This relieves pressure on the rounds in the magazine. I then very carefully and gently tapped the cartridge rim downward until the jammed case was freed from being pinched by the carrier.

The danger is that these are live rounds with live primers. The consequences of hitting the primer cannot be underestimated. I took my chances. I am by no means recommending this procedure to anyone else. Your method of dropping the forarm and removing the tube sounds much, much safer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
stranger
    sounds like maybe the end of the carrier has worn short.  should be a flush fit bt'n the end of carrier and  the cartridge head of the cartridge in the tube.  the other thing that might be worn is the lever surface.  pull off the tube and observe the carrier action and lever action as the lever is opened and closed.  the lever it's self actually pushes the shell in the tube back to the position that the carrier can take over and block it from entering the receiver.  turning screws and observing is cheap and very therapuetic.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any properly adjusted 94 or 336 and variants should short cycle without problems. Time for investigating the situation. One of the original Marlin bragging rights.

·
Banned
554 Posts
I don't own a 1894, but as a kid I had a Marlin 39M .22 that I believe has similar mechanics.  I fired 10s of thousands of rounds through that gun and it would jam in the condition described above (a short stroke).   It would jam with the lever open.  In the beginning, I'd disassemble the gun to clear the jam (easy to do on the 39), then I found a way to clear it quickly that you may wish to try with your 1894.

Hold the gun in your left hand and open the lever fully to the stop. Rap the butt with your right hand and you will hopefully hear a dull "click", which I believe is the follower/cartridge releasing.  It would work fine then.  You do not have to hit the gun hard, just a soft rap.

It's a long shot, but it may work.

Charlie

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Charlie:

Yep. Sounds like the same kind of jam. Happens with the lever open. The lever actually wedges open and will not budge. I'll try your suggestion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlie:

I had the jam repeat this weekend. I tried your "rap the butt" solution and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was shooting with a friend last weekend we where both using Win 94 legacy's in 45 Colt.  It was the first time out for his and he had two jams similar to the above.  I have not had a problem with mine - several hundred rounds.  I examined both as closely as possible and did not detect any difference in the timing/operation.  It may have been a short stroke on the lever, He might have been a little lighter on the lever.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Stranger,

Glad it clears it!  Now, we have to figure out why it jams in the first place.  

It's been a mystery to me since I was 11.  I still have the little 39 and have a few years still till the little ones will use it.

Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts