Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited it from my father when he died. He got the Short Lee Enfield MKIII from Bigtown Discount store in a now gone shopping center in North Ridgeville, OH when I was about 10, 1966. Still packed like a mummy and swathed in cosmoline. I have a couple boxes of ammo for it too that he'd purchased a long time ago. It's one of the military rifles I learned to shoot with at that time. Gun safety and all the things the Navy taught him before shipping him off to the Philippines as a Seabee, 111th special Battalion. It was built in Lithgow for the Australian army, 1918. It's FTR was in 1953 before being wrapped and greased up then placed in a long crate with many others. That bolt action is still smooth as butter. The barrel is in very good condition. I remember shooting it in PA. You could shoot a deer with it at 100yds or more and stick your finger in where it entered. Then stick your head in and wiggle your ears where it exited! To me, it's basically a British 30-06.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Awesome you have your dad's rifle and one you shot as a youth. Thanks for posting with the photos!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Great gun and cartridge. My first centerfire. Like the 06 it served its country for over 100 years. First loaded with black powder, then used 3" Cordite sticks; I liked the smell of burnt cordite. Even the English Spitfire plane carried Vickers machine guns in 303 Brit; shotdown lots of german planes and saved the Battle of Britian with that same 303 British cartridge.

Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
Very nice pictures

Thanks for sharing. That was my first rifle that was purchased in 1958 for $15.88. I still have the rifle. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great gun and cartridge. My first centerfire. Like the 06 it served its country for over 100 years. First loaded with black powder, then used 3" Cordite sticks; I liked the smell of burnt cordite. Even the English Spitfire plane carried Vickers machine guns in 303 Brit; shotdown lots of german planes and saved the Battle of Britian with that same 303 British cartridge.

Enjoy.
Harry , The smell of Cordite is memory inducing like nothing else. My first Enfield was a 1941 rebuilt No1MkIII during old blighty's time of need after Dunkirk. Shot gobs of surplus MkVII ball through it !.
On another note ALL brit aircraft used Browning designed EmmaGees in wing mounts.... Vickers were a ground mount emmagee almost exclusively as they were water cooled.
Years ago there was a small twin engine brit bomber raised from Loch Ness. It was in superb condition being in the very oxygen depleted brackish water. The belted 303 in the brownings looked spotless ...and the guns cycled by hand !!.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mk 7 Mil issue

I wonder what primers are in the ammunition, they certainly look like Mk7 standard but being produced in America you might be lucky and discover they have a single flash hole Boxer primers unlike the military issue here in Australia which were all twin flash hole Berdan type. The problem with the twin flash hole primers was the case was difficult to reload and probably not worth the effort in the end; but the major drawback was the fulminate of mercury compound used for ignition which was corrosive which necessitated stringent cleaning of the barrel after it was used.
That compound also attacked the brass and made it brittle so if you wanted to reload it it had to be treated not long after it was fired. (I’ve forgotten what the procedure was; I think the mercury salt was acidic so an alkaline solution might have done the job).

·
Registered
596 Posts
....On another note ALL brit aircraft used Browning designed EmmaGees in wing mounts.... Vickers were a ground mount emmagee almost exclusively as they were water cooled.....
Harry may have been thinking of the air-cooled Vickers K model, specifically designed for aircraft. It was used in RAF light and medium bombers during WWII.

The original Vickers was standard issue on many British and French Military aircraft through the mid-30s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_machine_gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_K_machine_gun

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Like Gil my first MK III was purchased at Keystone Firearms for $7.77 including canvas case, sling and an extra mag with 20 rounds FMJ.

But Union yours is 10 times cleaner than mine was. often wonder if mine could speak all the action it saw World war, india, etc.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My MkIII is a 1941 Lithgow, I don’t remember what I paid for it in the early 1990s but it was well under $100. Used it for grouse in Alaska one year with cast bullets, worked okay but was pretty heavy to haul around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the colorful stories guys! I love true-life stories. I have some ammunition from Kirkee arsenal as well. Including boxes of .303 British from Winchester Western and Peters.
IMG_1824.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the Winchester Western jacketed soft points;
IMG_1607.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And finally, Peters jacketed soft points. Both brands of boxes were bought new in 1962. So I might've been younger when he bought the rifle?
IMG_1605.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have a machine gun belt that fits the .303 cartridges too. 125 round half belt?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My MKIII must've seen a lot of action? The serial numbers don't seem to match? It had it's FTR in 1953, and even the stock stampings are still present. Dad got it straight out of the crate it was originally stored in in Australia, wrapped like a mummy drowned in cosmoline. I remember watching my dad opening it, not unlike unwrapping Tutankhamen's mummy. It took a lot of cleaning to get it in the condition you see it in today. The barrel bore still looks very good indeed! I wanna shoot a moose with this thing. Right in the side of the head!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts