Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dressing warmly for a cold day on the deer stand,I find that when trying to sholder my Winchester model 70,I can not reach my scopes eye relief range.It was like looking through a Donut hole. I remember that Elmer Keith's suggestion that short people like short rifles. I did not want to cut off the stock because I am not that happy with the Winchester's trigger pull.
Any other short shooters out there and what rifles have you found that seem to fit better?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
I cut my stocks to fit me, don't care about resale value. Here's a suggestion, fit two recoil pads, on thick and one thin. The standard Winchester recoil pads are thin (and about worthless, but that's another discussion), so replace with a 'standard' pad about an inch thick. Cut the stock as necessary to keep the length of pull 'about' where it started, if you are concerned with resale value.

Then re-fit the old, thin, recoil pad. With extra clothes on you'll have some padding with your coat, shirt, etc. And for warm-weather shooting you have a nice pad.

Or figure out a way to mount the scope farther back, or find one with longer eye relief, etc....

·
Registered
178 Posts
swifty,

Your rifle just needs a bit of fitting. Get that stock cut to fit. I am kinda short and have full sized chest and shoulders, and I have to alter all standard stocks. Do not worry about that M70 trigger, since they are easily adjusted by any decent gunsmith. The M70 trigger may be the best hunting rifle trigger in production, but they come adjusted by lawyers rather than gunsmiths.

Fireplug

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also have been getting my rifle stocks shortened. I have a new Wincheaster SS Classic with the synthetic stock. It came from the factory almost 13 3/4 inches long. I had it shortened to 13 1/4. It's a little short with a Tee shirt, but perfect with hunting clothes on. Same with my JC Higgins, when I changed the trigger and shroud I shortened the L.O.P. to 13 1/4. All of my guns will eventually be the same L.O.P.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get out the saw

I have two L579 Sako fullstocks, two m600 Remingtons, a rollingblock ? inline muzzleloader, and a Win Model 12 all with LOPs around 12 3/4". I can shoot them all in hot or cold weather that way. I don't worry about the next owner. That will be my kids....when I wake up on the dirt side of the grass. 'dito

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
swifty,
I'm with the crowd that says shorten the stock. If you've got a Model 70 with a poor trigger pull, it's just not adjusted right yet.
And if you are really looking for an excuse to get a new (short) rifle, tell us more about your Model 70!:D They are my favorites, maybe somebody (like me) will be interested in buying it or trading for it?

IDShooter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts