Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
  I had the opportunity to shoot a fellow's Browning A-bolt 300 WSM today. I have to say, I was impressed. It really DID seem to kick less than a 300 Win Mag. And this was in a light rifle, too. I've gotten pretty recoil sensitive lately due to shoulder injury/arthritis. This rifle did kick a bit more than my '06, but not much! Seemed accurate, too. (It was the first box of shells he'd ever run through it.)        IDShooter

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
It really DID seem to kick less than a 300 WinMag.
Wow! A thirteen year-old thread. I had to reply...

The WSM kicks less because it uses less powder. The WSM uses about 70-72 grains; the WinMag about 85-88. With the same bullet, that difference will put it to you. Gettin' my bell rung by that much recoil just ain't what I call an enjoyable afternoon...

Reactions: 7x57 #1 and shreck

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Usually its the newbies that dig up threads that old (and treat them like recent post).

How did you manage to find it?

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I'll bite.

How is the WSM thing doing in places where rifles are more common?

I don't see many (any) on a rack, but even in NJ, .300 Winchesters are usually present.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I asked a gun shop about the 300 wsm and got laughed at. 'melbourne Australia.'

·
Registered
973 Posts
I asked a gun shop about the 300 wsm and got laughed at. 'melbourne Australia.'
That explains a lot.

For a number of reasons, I've gotten to where I would not buy a .300 old-style magnum (Winchester/Weatherby) if a .300 WSM is available. - The short magnum beats the old-style magnums in several key areas that are important to me.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
How did you manage to find it?
It was in the Similar Threads block at the bottom of the Rifles and Rifle Cartridges forum. Being a former 300WSM shooter, I had to reply.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
This is cracken me up,old 'new- i'v got to ask ..... What would those area's be sir?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I kinda like mine....was a raffle prize ....low end Weatherby ...fit's into the, "If you can see it, you can kill it category".
The only time you feel it is at paper at the range.....never hunting.

Not a "afternoon range shooter"...or a "stop sign gun"....but will do the job when needed.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Sorry! However I will still stick to my guns and let others spend their money on something that will most likely disappear in the near future. The .300 Win mag as well as the 7mm Win mag and the .338 Win mag are hear to stay and no need to worry ever about bullets, brass etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
10 yrs ago I would've worried about the various short mags' availability. Now it's pushing 15 yrs since their introduction and guns are still being chambered in 270 and 300 wsm and ammo is readily available in every gun shop/Academy,etc around here. At public ranges I find brass for each of them all the time laying around. I'd say if somebody wants one, buy it, shoot it, have fun with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That explains a lot.

For a number of reasons, I've gotten to where I would not buy a .300 old-style magnum (Winchester/Weatherby) if a .300 WSM is available. - The short magnum beats the old-style magnums in several key areas that are important to me.
"Several key areas,….." Agreed!

From 2Bits:
Sorry! However I will still stick to my guns and let others spend their money on something that will most likely disappear in the near future. The .300 Win mag as well as the 7mm Win mag and the .338 Win mag are hear to stay and no need to worry ever about bullets, brass etc.

On the other hand: "…..most likely disappear in the near future?" The 300 WSM has been and continues to prove it's worth in BR and in the game fields. Generally speaking, accuracy has been nothing short of outstanding with all appropriate bullets. Fact, not opinion. Just like the .280 AI comes close to duplicating 7 RM ballistics, the 300 WSM does the same with the Win Mag - with less powder, thus less recoil in similar weight rifles. IMO, the 300 WSM stands confidently beside the 300 H&H, putting the WSM in very good company. Who knows, the cartridge just might fade? But current users I know are very happy with the advantages of their 300 WSM. YMMV. :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 300wsm and 300 win mag have pretty much the same volocities as one another. The 300 wsm in the borwning is a very accurate gun. I've shot my friends 300wsm and its nice. He uses that over his win mag everytime he goes out of state. Ammo for the 300wsm is everywhere now in all popular brands of ammo.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Yeah, the WSSM, RCM and 308/338 ME rounds (two different cases) are all going the way of the dodo, but the WSM line will be with us for many years to come. Sadly, the best round in that family (325WSM) has not gotten the love it deserves. No matter for someone who owns one because there will be WSM brass to work with for a long time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yeah, the WSSM, RCM and 308/338 ME rounds (two different cases) are all going the way of the dodo, but the WSM line will be with us for many years to come. Sadly, the best round in that family (325WSM) has not gotten the love it deserves. No matter for someone who owns one because there will be WSM brass to work with for a long time.
I agree about the 325 WSM, it is really outstanding.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I wonder if this thread predates Mr. Jamison and Winchester settling his WSM lawsuit against them, on the Courthouse steps?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts