Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to a friends house that has a nice 200 yrd cut into the woods he uses as a range. We marked off 100yrds with a yard-wheel and also ranged the target at 100 yrds with bushnell rangefinder.

my first 3 round sight in group measured .52" with winchester factory ammo and was about an inch to the right. Already I was very pleased with the rifle.

a few clicks later and the second three round group of factory ammo measured .73", I pulled one a little low. The group was just under .5" to the right of the center of the target to i thought that was good enough to see what i could do with some reloads. (these first six shots were at a 3" target)

I think i got really lucky on my combination of rifle and components, because judging by my FIRST group shot with reloads that measured .33" on a 2" target, i think i'll stick with the sierras. I was very pleased to see my first shot hit exactly where i expected. The second and third shots I almost thought I had missed since they went in virtually the same hole, I was ecstatic when I realized this. I have pictures of the targets and my rifle, i just have to find my cord or an sd card to transfer the pics.

btw, the load was:

Winchester case
CCI BR-2 LR Primers
Sierra 150gr ProHunters
46gr W748
Crimped just enough to feel the indention with Lee Factory Crimp
OAL - 2.75"

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Nice - needed to hear some good news. You are to be commended.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Not long ago I shot my first handloads. I came in here and voiced some anxiety prior to going to the range. Somebody said something like "Your specs look good. Just go do it. Like your signature says: Don't be scared".

I remember thinking that when I touched off the very first couple of rounds. Lots of anxiety! Good stress vibes! First, it's great that your rifle didn;t blow up. Then, later, you find out the thing is pretty accurate to start off with!

Good times there, Browning Boy.... (:)D))

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not long ago I shot my first handloads. I came in here and voiced some anxiety prior to going to the range. Somebody said something like "Your specs look good. Just go do it. Like your signature says: Don't be scared".

I remember thinking that when I touched off the very first couple of rounds. Lots of anxiety! Good stress vibes! First, it's great that your rifle didn;t blow up. Then, later, you find out the thing is pretty accurate to start off with!

Good times there, Browning Boy.... (:)D))
i feel you on that Stretch... lol

i was laying prone, and the first reload i shot, i rested the buttpad in my elbow and got as far to the left as possible, while covering my head and face with my left arm... praying that this <$1 round wouldn't destroy this $1000 rifle... lol

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
BrowningBoy, I'm looking at your photos. Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing!

Proceed directly to the competitors sign-up desk at the next benchrest competition in your area.....

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Awesome! Good to hear your first reloads did so well! I remember that first anxiety well, with my first handgun. Thankfully it has digested thousands of rounds of handloads now with no issues.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BrowningBoy, I'm looking at your photos. Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing!

Proceed directly to the competitors sign-up desk at the next benchrest competition in your area.....
haha, thanks for the kind words Stretch. I might have to do that In the near future

1 - 13 of 13 Posts