Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a reloader for over 45 years but never shotshells. I do not expect to save a lot of money I just want to load a shell that would be perfect for my needs. Specifically a 12 gauge shell with 7/8 ounce of #9's. Is this impossible or problematic. This load would provide more pellets that 1 1/8 of 8's and less recoil. Remember I am a newbe.
I was looking at a MEC machine that retails for about $160. Is this a decent machine or am I going to be disapointed?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This is a thread that is seen often. Many would recommend looking for a good used MEC if you are short on $$$. I would recommend the $40.00 Lee Precision Load All. I am going to add a $90.00 MEC resizer to my Load All. Then my shells should be "perfect."

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Zebcoboy,

If/when you get the MEC and start putting together your own shotshells, you'll wonder why you ever bought trap or skeet loads off the shelf. Well, that's if you have the little bit of time it takes to enjoy an hour or two pulling a lever and cranking out the shells. It's remarkably easy and I dare say the MEC you have your eyes on has loaded more 12 gauge rounds than any other machine on the market.

If you haven't already done so, pick up the ABC's of Reloading, 9th edition (iirc) and/or a shotshell specific manual so you can see the steps involved. I don't enjoy shotshell reloading quite as much as metallic, but with your level of experience, you'll be up and running in just a couple of hours. Before you know it, you'll be at the range bustin' clays with your own loads! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Zebcoboy;

Pretty much agree with broom_jm. I reload all my 20 ga on the reloader you're looking at and all my 12 ga on the Mec Sizemaster. I did start out with the Lee LoadAll II. Not a bad starting point, but I found the Mec machines more to my liking. YMMV.

Don't forget a good scale. Powder bushings charts are ususally close, but not accurate. I like beam scale. http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=1405&cat=1188&page=1

I'm not familiar with the manual broom_jm mentions. But I started with the Lyman manual. It has a good section for new shotshell reloaders.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=3390&cat=1430&page=1

You don't mention what you will be shooting, but I shoot trap,skeet and sporting with 7/8 and 1 ounce loads of 7-1/2 and 8. A 7/8 ounce is not problematic to load.

You can also go to the powder manufacturer's websites and get load recipes.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
11 Posts
I highly recommend the load I use (12ga one):
http://www.shotgunresource.com/recipes.html

Its from the Alliant website, and I shoot this exclusively on the skeet range. Its a wonderful load, and the components make a fairly cheap load. Find the cost using the reloading calculator on that website. I recommend Gamaliel or Recobs for component prices, then plug them in and see what you will pay.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
12 gauge shell with 7/8 ounce of #9's. Is this impossible or problematic. This load would provide more pellets that 1 1/8 of 8's and less recoil.
7/8 oz loads with a 12Ga are easy to do, and there are a couple wads made just for that. Claybuster has a good selection.

Personally, I like the 7/8 oz load in a 12. With 9's, they are fine for skeet, and informal clay shooting. My favorite shooting buddy, my daughter, shoots 3/4oz loads in her 20Ga, and I use the 7/8 oz loads im my 12's. Work great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
16 gauge reloading

I hope this is not too much "off thread".
I have a Stevens 311A in 16 ga. that I would like to use for Sporting clays. It is the only double I
have. As you all probably know, Trap loads for 16ga are non-existent -at least I haven't been able to come up with them .
My question is: What is the minimum do I need to load 16ga trap ? About how much will it cost? I don't have any re-loading equipment. I just want to see if this is a practical thing to consider.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
What is the minimum do I need to load 16ga trap ? About how much will it cost? I don't have any re-loading equipment. I just want to see if this is a practical thing to consider.
Lee Load All 2: about $45 (the cheapest part)
Primers: about $5/100
500 Claybuster wads; $10
25lbs of shot: $40
1lb Green Dot: $20

Once fired hulls can be found with some effort, or sometimes at a range selling fired hulls. Usually $10-$15/100

Say about $125 -$140

This would get you enough to load about 400, 1oz loads/16boxes, or equal to about 10 boxes (250 rounds) of 16Ga 1oz loads if you could find them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts