Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me being the nice yet stupid person i am, let a friend borrow my shotgun when i was out of town. i hate lending firearms to people especially if i am not out there with them but he shoots and hunts a lot so i figured what the He:rolleyes:
Long story short he slipped in the mud dropped the gun as mud filled up the barrel.
HE THOUGHT he cleaned the gun good enough, next shot he takes peals the END of the barrel like a banana:(
I measured the barrel up the the blow out point and i measured 21 ish inches. Should i be thinking home defense gun with an 18 inch barrel? Would it be safe to cut down 3 inches and still use a barrel that blew up?
Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How should i cut down the barrel? Pipe or tube cutters i think might work better than a hack saw and would make it more square, but will that put too much presure on the end of the barrel and make it too tight? Im not sure that will happen i just heard that pipe cutters might tapper and close the end of the barrel too much for safe shooting.......? any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Don't use a pipe cutter, as it will compress the muzzle down too tight. Wrap the barrel with masking tape and use a tubing cutter with just enough force to cut the tape. Then remove the tape towards the muzzle and cut barrel with a fine tooth hacksaw, leaving it slightly proud. Use a fine file and file down to the tape. Finish off with fine emery paper (Wet or dry with a little oil for lube.) to obtain a amooth polished finish.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
+1 about that M1894 advice.
If you have a combination square, you can use that to get a line that is square the to receiver. Mark a line. Put on the tape.
Pete

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
A shotgun muzzle doesn't have to be perfectly square. File it as best you can after sawing. Good luck.

Leave an extra half inch or so over the 18" minimum. Give yourself a little room for error; much better to be over 18" than under!

·
Banned
605 Posts
Bought a M870 one time from a local police department that the officer took to lunch and wanted a banana. Hacksawed off the blown up part and smoothed it out with some emery paper. A set of Williams rifle sights later I now have a fine brush gun for deer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Two other suggestions maybe nobody thought of. Offer to sell this one to the "friend" that broke it. It's only fitting. Have him purchase a replacement barrell for the gun. If I borrow something you better believe it will be in the condition I got it when I give it back. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Two other suggestions maybe nobody thought of. Offer to sell this one to the "friend" that broke it. It's only fitting. Have him purchase a replacement barrell for the gun. If I borrow something you better believe it will be in the condition I got it when I give it back. Just my 2 cents.
Surprised this didnt come up earlier.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A suggestion -- don't go all the way down to 18", if you can avoid it. Any future dings to the muzzle, and you won't have any room to slice a bit more off and fix it without making an illegal sawed-off shotgun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya Its an H&R Pardner single shot shotgun. He gave me 60 bucks for a 55 dollar replacment barrel plus shipping and waiting....so i probley got screwed but if I cut the barrel and re-blue the end i figure its money in my pocket and a cool looking short barrel shotgun sittin next to the bed.
Thanks for all of your advice everyone, ill have to look into that emery paper.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Cut it off, as above - Then run a 1/2" wide strip of replaceable white/medical adhesive tape down the top of the barrel, for a nite sight on a HD shotgun that's cost-effective & WORKS.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Why bother taking a chance of cutting the barrel's muzzle out of square. Send me the barrel and I'll put it in the lathe and square it up like what it is supposed to be to begin with....

A

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used a metal chop saw to cut down the barrel of my 11-48 remington 20 gauge after the barrel blew in to a few chunks, but I had to cut it down alot, But the metal chop saw works great, just file the edges of the barrel after you cut it to get the burrs and stuff out, I still have the barrel I cut down but I am going to toss it in the scrape pile as it is much to short to legally have in possesion, it doesn't stick out past the nut on the end of the mag tube. I have ordered a barrel off gun broker.com already and I am waiting for that to arrive.

Just remember to square up the barrel in the saw, most of them have a vice like plate that you can tighten down to hold the barrel.
My post is a little late I guess but figured I'd share how I did mine.

Hope this was helpful.

-Joe-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts