Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic buttplate on my old Parker double was chipped and cracked; I got an one from NC Ordinance. Good people to deal with, by the way.

The new buttplate looks exactly like the old, except the fit is off about 1/32" vertically, so the plate ends up just a little shy of the top, and a little over the bottom with the screws in place. There's not enough play in the buttplate holes to adjust it out.

So what's the best way to "move" the plate up about 1/32" or 3/64ths? The screw holes in the buttplate have a circular flange like a small donut around them; it would be noticeable if I modified the plate. I'm thinking I need to "move" the holes in the stock. They're not under a lot of stress, so you could fill them with glue and sawdust, or a good wood filler and then re-drill them. Or drill a 1/4" hole, fill it with a hardwood dowel, then redrill the holes.

This is a Trojan grade Parker, completely original as far as I know, and not particularly valuable, but it was my grandad's, it's a good shooter, and I want to keep it in nice shape and pass it to my son. Slight modifications won't hurt its value to me, but I want to do it once and do it right.

I know some of you guys will know the best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If it were me I would do your 2nd option of using a hardwood dowel to fill the original holes and remake new holes. I think it would hold up better and less likely to have your new drilling attempt try to fall into the old holes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I finally got around to fixing it. drilled the old holes and glued/filled with hardwood dowels, sanded them flat. Marked the holes for the new buttplate as carefully as possible, drilled small pilot holes, then bigger ones until the screws fit snugly. It's not perfect, the buttplate was very, very close, but not a perfect fit. I imagine with the original manufacturing, each one was slightly oversize and sanded to fit (?) It would have been nice if the replacements were about 1/64" oversize... If I ever refinish the stock, though I doubt I will, I can sand the stock very slightly to fit.

I'll soon run out of "quarantine" projects....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts