Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might really belong in the shotgun section, but since it involves gunsmithing I will drop it in here.

I have a Winchester Model 12 12 ga. shotgun that was my grandfather's. You would need to know my grandfather to appreciate the overal very rough cosmetic condition of the gun -- he was not one to baby his tools. The cosmetics are enough to lower it to shooter grade, but it is mechanically excellent and, thoroughly cleaned and spruced a bit, would make a great shooter.

But there is one catch. The gun dates to 1914, and I have a sneaking suspicion (not yet confirmed) that it has the old 2 5/8" chamber. If so, can someone recommend a gunsmith to do the job? And will the result be safe, assuming the chamber lengthening is all that's done and sensible loads are used? To clarify, I have no doubt the gun is safe, except for the potential problem of firiung 2 3/4 shells in a 2 5/8 chamber.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I know in the old Browning A-5 16 guages, you need to modify a bunch of other stuff to make the longer case work. I just finished up one a few months back that was improperly modified in the past. Now it works, but all of the tolerances are tight.

So to answer your question, It most likely can be done, but some other stuff may need to be modified also.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know in the old Browning A-5 16 guages, you need to modify a bunch of other stuff to make the longer case work. I just finished up one a few months back that was improperly modified in the past. Now it works, but all of the tolerances are tight.

So to answer your question, It most likely can be done, but some other stuff may need to be modified also.
You can test standard 2.75" shells for FUNCTION through the gun to insure they'll feed and eject without a bunch of extra gunsmith work. DO NOT FIRE THEM, THOUGH. I've used Brownell's Long Forcing Cone reamer on 12ga and 16ga drillings with excellent results - might be cheaper than a gunsmith BUT - you get what you pay for! If you don't trust yourself to do the work, a 'smith is cheaper! FWIW....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts