Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
sdonegan said:
Any feedback on using slugs through a MOD choke version of the NEF 12 GA welcomed
I once decided I would put a scope on a 12 ga single barrel. I was going to shorten it to about 22 inches. Before I actually cut it off, I thought I would see how it shot.

I put a 50 foot pistol target on a cardboard box, stuck it in the cornfield behind my house at about 25 yd. I dropped a Remington 1-ounce slug into it the chamber. I sat on the ground with my back resting against the wall of my house, the gun resting across my knees.

I fired one shot. It hurt like ****. I don't even remember if I hit the target. I just remember that I had that wall behind me so I couldn't roll back with the recoil, and that slug in that lightweight single barrel stomped me but good. Dumb!

I abandoned the project at that point.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Man, when i got to the part about your back resting against the wall, i started hurting and hadn't even finished your post!! OW!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Foster type slugs (the "regual" type) will work...they won't produce excessive pressure from teh choke, but they may not be all taht accurate. Pays to try verious brands of slugs....but starting with the baisc Winchester is usally a good idea.

Yep...single barrel 12ga. shotguns tend to kick a bit...can't help it with the light weight of most of them. Better if you can "roll with it"...if you asked me to shoot one often, would shoot it standing. Use a ladder or other elevating devise to get it to the right height, put a soft bag on top as a rest, grip the fore end with your hand (and the back of your hand on the soft bag rest), and shoot for groups that way....not as good as benchrest groups, but more representitive of what it can do in human hands.

Buy some Aspercreme...does help take away the soreness without smelling like a locker room.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Reduced recoil slugs

Gentlemen:

In ultralight 12 bore guns, reduced recoil slugs are the only way to go. A one ounce slug at 1200 fps has essentially 20 gauge recoil.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Ralph McLaney said:
Gentlemen:

In ultralight 12 bore guns, reduced recoil slugs are the only way to go. A one ounce slug at 1200 fps has essentially 20 gauge recoil.

Ralph
Have to put a differnt view out. IF you only want 20ga. perfomance, buy a 20ga. Reduced recoil 12ga. slugs (law enforcement type slugs) are great for faster repeat shots and still carry plenty of energy for paper or human targets...but in a single shot, that fast recovery is not very important. Lighter loads will decrease recoil....but it's not without a balistic price to pay; there just aren't that many shots at game animals to make recoil a real issue. Recoil is an issue at a long range session where you may shoot 20, 30, or even 50 rounds...but in the field with a single shot, if you don't tag it with round #1, the follow up shots are probably unimportant.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Point well taken.

Ribbonstone:

Your point is well taken. You may wish also to consider that a flinch developed on the range in practice with a gun that hurts may come back to haunt you during that critical moment afield.

My response was also predicated on the distinct possibility that the person doing the shooting may be a newcomer to the sport. As such, he or she may be better served by lower recoil at the expense of modestly reduced range.

Remember also that velocity is lost at a greater rate above the speed of sound. Given the extremely poor sectional density of foster slugs the greater weight and cross section of the low recoil 12 gauge slugs may render these more effective than you might suppose.

In my experience, the reduced recoil slugs are more likely to shoot "where the gun looks" with a bead sighted light weight smoothbore such as an NEF single shot.

Ralph

·
Banned
555 Posts
Guys, I have not shot a H&R in a long time but I do remember my first impression was more kick than my 458 today. I don't shoot the shotguns much any more. BUT would a Past recoil sheild be worth looking into?
Halfbreed

·
Registered
16 Posts
The problem is sighting in/not hunting. who feels recoil hunting? I gave my 12 guage slug gun to my brother. Shooting it watered my eyes. I did use reduced recoil loads at the range & it helped. My H&R Ultramag is a 20 guage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts